Ampeg Reissue amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesbreaker59, May 16, 2006.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

How are these, specifially the Super Jet? Been thinking about getting a nice 50 watt, utility grade combo amp, with verb and a good fat, clean sound, that sounds good for like classic rock sounds, and bluesy-rock, and of course straight up blues. Anybody have experience with these? I did a search and mainly just came up with vintage Ampeg threads, not much on the newer stuff. I also never see them in shops around here anymore.

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

i never see the guitar amps either....there is some good info in the reviews at harmonycentral about what can be done to modify the newer amps...if you wanna go that route...

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Looks like they just concentrate on the Bass line... I hear more about the old ones you can get for cheap.

4. conundrum

conundrum Member

I really like the reissues. Even the distortion which most people gloss over. The Jets and reverberockets i've played have all been massively fat, and smokey. I may get one with el-84's in the future since you can pick them up so cheap.:dude

5. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I've put the Jet RI through its paces, and when cranked puts out a lot of usable grit, and does a really good job of cleaning up with your guitar's volume knob. Our shop does not have a Super Jet, though. Anyone have any experiences with these? I'm guessing it may have a similar circuit to the Jet RI, but I'd think the 6L6s really change the character of the clean sounds prior to pushing them over the top into overdrive.

6. Dave B

Ampeg gurus - correct me if I'm wrong. Does the SJ50R have Volume, Bass, Mid, Treb, and Reverb (and no Trem)? Does the SJ12R have Volume, Tone, Trem Speed and Intensity, and Reverb?

What is the difference between the the SJ50R and the SJ12R tonally?
    Anyone had a chance to directly compare them?

Do the 6L6s in these contribute to a good deal of that clean 'bloom' and not the punchier cleans normally assoicated with Ampeg, and other EL84, amps?

I was thinking of getting the newer SJ12R (for cleans only, so no need to push it into OD territory) and stick a graphic EQ in front if the single tone control wasn't happening, then remembered they made the SJ50R a few years back without the tremolo but with a full tone complement.

Thoughts?

7. Dave B

Any of you Ampeg gurus know the answer to the question in my previous post?

8. Dave B

Bump for a response from any SuperJet owners or Ampeg lovers/gurus in general.

9. LHakim

LHakim Member

I've still got my old SLM catalog that has those models in it--I'll check at home tonight for you if no one else answers sooner. My experiences with the reissue Ampegs are limited to my old Reverbrocket R-12R which shipped with Svetlana EL-34's and a little el-84 Jet with tremelo I tried out at a local store.

The R-12R was a real balancing act when it came to setting the gain and MV controls to get at the amp's sweet spot but IMHO it was a surprisingly good tone with decent dynamics and sustain. However the amps reliability left alot to be desired. Interestingly I think some of the gain in the distortion channel was generated by an opamp. Unlike most I preferred the od channel to the clean channel which didn't break up enough for me and sounded kind of dull.

I don't remember much about the Jet except that I wasn't too impressed with its tone--seemed to lack girth and drive even wound all the way up.

10. AL30

AL30 Member

Dave B, sorry I don't have any experience with newer Ampegs. I have not heard good things about the build quality though - again I have no experience with them so that info is from other sources. Maybe check the Ampeg site to answer your questions?

There are a few schematics here http://www.schematicheaven.com/ampeg.htm

The input of the R12R slightly resembles the inputs on my older Ampegs - slightly - but there are some wacky things going on elsewhere inside there.

6L6 "clean bloom". I suppose that could lend itself to the sound. I have a Gemini 1 ('66) w/7591 and an SB-12 (68?) w/7868. Both of these have fantastic cleans up to a point. But they are low wattage so I can crank them and get a really good breakup.

Given the price of the newer Ampegs - around $600 - You can find older Ampegs for less than that and they will probably sound better and be constructed better. If you need an Ampeg clean look into the V series of Ampegs from the '70's (V4, VT-40, VT-22 etc) LOUD and clean and around the same price as a new one.

And, just to throw in my useless opinion. I LOVE my Ampegs. They have a unique sound and IMO easily compete with Marshalls and Fenders. The baxandall tone stack is particularly useful. Plus, they cost of heck of lot less. Very underrated amps. You could do a lot worse for more $$$.

AL

11. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I have owned a reissue R12R for about 4 years. I replaced the EL-34s with KT-66s and put a Jensen C12N in it. I absolutely love it! It has had a few reliability issues in the past but right now it's tip-top and it sounds great. Not a huge fan of the dirty channel. I only use the clean side and push it with pedals. Great tone for not much money.

The other guitar player in my band plays a Super Jet reissue (SJ12T). His sounds awesome too. It's a bit more boxy sounding. He hasn't modded it at all. I've been trying to convice him to at least replace the stock Ampeg 12" in it because I don't think they do the amp justice. He's stubborn with his tone (like many of us). He recently got a Barder DD and it seems to work well for him. I push my Reverberocket with a Sparkledrive or a Vox Valvetone OD.

12. LHakim

LHakim Member

Checked out my old Ampeg catalog and you are correct. The actual catalog designations for the Super Jet are SJ-12T and SJ-12R.

13. Dave B

AL30, thanks for the tips. Went out and looked at some schematics, and saw some are 6L6 powered. I may have to snag one of these next time I see one. Had to get rid of a HR Deluxe that I used for cleand, and now need to replace it. Don't need the volume of their 'V' designations.

Thanks too, LHakim, for the catalog research and tone talk. I'm steering clear of MV models for now, so I can discount some of those models you were not enamored with.

King-Albert, thanks for the older SuperJet info. I'd love to hear one of these, or the newer tremelo, single tone versions. I would use it only for cleans. I'd A/B it with my pushed over the edge Budda for the overdrive sounds.

Knowing my luck, I'll wind up wth a SFDR.