Ampeg Reverberocket question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by homerayvaughan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I have on the way to me an Ampeg Reverberocket 2 amp that will need tubes. Currently has 7591's. Any suggestions? Is it possible or advisable to convert to 6V6's?

2. erksin

erksin Member

Leave it as stock - 7591s are killer sounding tubes!

I have a '65 RR with them - I love mine.

[​IMG]

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm with Erk. Those 7591 tubes have a really interesting sound, not quite like 6v6 or 6L6. My Sano 2x12 with those tubes has a thick, creamy kind of clean tone, with a light, airy OD sound higher up. Great for blues, any kind of roots music. Blends the very agreeable drive of 6v6, plus the tighter bass of the 6L6, with it's own sort of throaty character thrown in.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There are a couple new and relatively inexpensive 7591s being made, IIRC. Or you can just buy some older ones. They're not cheap but they pop up all the time. You could also consider THD's Yellow Jackets for 7591s. Personally...I'd just buy some old 7591s.

5. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

a tech friend of mine calls 7591's "mini 6550's".

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Hey, MD, how does the Sano compare to an Ampeg, and how does it differ?

7. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

7591s are great sounding tubes, and the new JJs are excellent. Boutique builders should start experimenting with them.

8. erksin

erksin Member

BTW - are you sure it will need tubes? I still have the original Ampeg-branded Sylvanias in mine, my tech recently tested them and they're still well within spec even after 41 years...

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

57: The Sano sounds a little bit like a Gemini, but not much. The Ampegs have this distinctive clean sound I've heard nowhere else, also about the best reverb and trem you'd ever find. The Sano (pre-tech love) had a sweet, kind of thin and quiet character. Post tech attention, much louder, a thicker and not quite as clean sound as Ampegs, but better drive. Reverb is good, but not in the Ampeg class. The Sano has CTS alnico speakers; I think I'm reacting in part to the unique character of those speakers, which sound really good.

10. erksin

erksin Member

My RR has the original Ampeg/CTS AlNiCo as well - sounds really good in this amp...

11. homerayvaughan

Yes, I'm positive it will need tubes. I just found out it came in today, so I'll be picking up a set of JJ's to throw in tonight.

Any harm in playing it a bit before I have it biased?

So, would an alnico speaker be a better option than a ceramic?

12. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Good luck with it, they are greta amps, I have mint RR from the 60's. Absolutley stay with the 7591's.

13. homerayvaughan

I just got home and opened the box up. I dropped in the jj 7591's, but I noticed that one tube is slightly larger than the other (longer and has a rounder end). I played the amp a bit, and I think it's going to need some work. The reverb and trem work great, but the speaker's got to go (a RADIO SHACK...bleh!) breaks up quick in a bad way!
    The amp gets microphonic when I turn it up, probably needs a preamp tube or 3.

14. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

The amp is cathode biased...no bias adjustment needed. Just make sure your power tubes are matched.

My advice is to use a 50 watt Weber Ceramic Blue Dog. I have tried a lot of speakers with Blue Checked Ampegs, including vintage P12Ns, and Qs, various Celestions (the G12-65 is a close second to the Blue Dog), several of the new Eminences, and the Blue Dog just has the perfect blend of twang, crunch, and compression, imo.

15. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Make sure you use a good 6U10 because when they get old and weak the amp will sound thinner, especially if the tube is microphonic.