Ampeg Reverberocket - suggest a speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GOLDENSTRAT, Jun 29, 2008.

1. GOLDENSTRAT

GOLDENSTRAT Member

Hey, have an early 60's R-12R that came with a re-coned Vintage 30 (went from 16 to 8 ohms). The speaker sounds kinda crackly at full volume and may be on the way out. Tried a Mod 20 Jensen I have laying around but that is quieter and the tone is not happening so much.
    Any suggestions for a loud (effiecient) speaker that won't break up too early and has strong low end? Texas Heat or ?
    The amp is loud enough to gig with but just barely so I need a loud and clean speaker to crank with without mush.
    Thanks, Fred

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I liked a G12M in my old one. I never got to try it but I've heard great things about the Emi Cannabis Rex in that amp. Another good choice is the weber ceramic blue dog.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 On the Weber Ceramic Blue Dog.Get the 50 watt with light doping.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had one with a V30 in it and it sounded great.

5. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Eminence Cannabis rex. I tried one I had in my I have an Ampeg Gemini II (2x7591)to see how it would sound with a more efficient speaker and installed a 12" Eminence Cannabis rex. It sounds so good I left it in there. The Cannabis rex has great bass response and smooth top end, it really brings out the best in my amp. Try one and I bet you will like it.

6. bushmill

bushmill Member

+2

Great speaker for the Ampegs.....

7. nofootprints

nofootprints Member

I had used a V30 in my reissue a number of years ago and liked it, but I was still pretty new to amps then. Since then I've not cared much for the V30 (with a Mesa F50 and Marshall JVM). Weber Blue Dog sounds interesting.

8. CthonicEwes

CthonicEwes Member

What about a Jensen or some clone of an vintage Jensen? My RR II has the original C12R, although it's getting tired...