• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ampeg ReverbRocket Experts Needed

traynor_garnet

Silver Supporting Member
Could somebody run down the differences in circuits between the ReverbRockets? There is a semi-local 1964 REVERBEROCKET R12-R-B for sale, but I really don't know much about these amps. Specifically, what does the "R-B" stand for/indicate?

Any info appreciated,
TG

erksin

Unfortunately, there isn't strict adherence to what that circuit designation actually entails. IMO, it's much more important to know what the tube compliment is than what circuit revision.

If it's a '64, it could have 6V6s or 7868s or 7591As - it's a bit of a crapshoot really. All are great - but sound different enough from each other to warrant finding out what glass is in the amp before taking the plunge IMO.

traynor_garnet

Silver Supporting Member
Unfortunately, there isn't strict adherence to what that circuit designation actually entails. IMO, it's much more important to know what the tube compliment is than what circuit revision.

If it's a '64, it could have 6V6s or 7868s or 7591As - it's a bit of a crapshoot really. All are great - but sound different enough from each other to warrant finding out what glass is in the amp before taking the plunge IMO.
Thanks for the info. This particular amp runs 7591As. How do they sound?

TG

erksin

Thanks for the info. This particular amp runs 7591As. How do they sound?

TG
I love them (my '65 RR is an R-12RM w/7591As) - they sound like a blend of 6V6 and 6L6 to me, so tighter and cleaner overall with a little less mids than 6V6s. My RR is a great clean amp at low to mid volumes - very surfy, then it crunches up a bit after about 6-7 on the volume.

What is the guy asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

GrungeMan

I had two Ampegs;

a 61 ReveberRocket R12R, I think this was the only one powered by with 6V6's, with 2-6sl7, 2-6sn7 and 5y3.

and a 69 ReverboJet J12R, 7591's, 2-12ax7, 6u10 and SS rectifier.

Aside from both having great Reverb and Trem the difference in the amps were like night and day and I attribute that mainly to the power tubes.

The Rocket was more like a Tweed Deluxe with Reverb and Trem, and the Jet on low volume was tighter cleaner open airy, but when pushed it had a raunch all of it's own.

The R12RB model you are looking at is the same layout as my 61 but with 7591's and a SS rectifier.

For the sound I would go with the amp that has the 7591's power tubes, that is the Ampeg tone.

Now as for 7591's, I'm not sure if there is a dependable and accurate manufacturer of out there today so NOS tubes would be the order of the day but they will not be cheap!

Keep on Rockin!

Grungy :D

Last edited:

Top Bottom