Ampeg Super Echo Twin ET 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonemandan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Hey everyone. I recently ran across one of these and wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them? It uses a quartet of 7591 power tubes in two seperate power amps run in stereo. Very cool looking cab and two blue Jensen speakers. Vintage '64.

I'll try to post a pic soon.

Dan

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I've liked the Ampegs I've heard from that era. NOS 7591s are insanely expensive but the new EH versions work fine. I believe Peter Frampton was a well-known user of the Super Echo Twin. My '66 Reverberocket is about my favorite amp.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Those amps sound really great. They have gotten very expensive in the last few years. They are basically two amps in one cab. I loved the 1965 Ampeg Gemini I once I got rid of the original C12Q speaker. (Probably the worst speaker Jensen ever made).

4. erksin

erksin Member

If it's in serviceable condition I'd buy it if I were you - highly collectable amps that sound fantastic.

You're basically buying two Reverberockets in one cab - that combination does not suck.

5. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It is in VERY good condition. It's getting a cap job now and a 3 prong plug. I'll report back on how it sounds. Anyone have any idea on the value of this particular model? I had never seen one before.

Dan

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Great amps when you go to a more efficent speaker choice. I'll bet it would be killer with a pair of Celestion blues. As for the price,in excellent condition,$1000.-$1200.

7. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I've seen the prices of Jets, Revererockets and Geminis going up to the point that I would expect to pay $400-500 for a Gemini, (maybe more) and slightly less for Jets and Reverberockets. Super Echo Twins, I think are more rare, and have the Frampton connection, so I'd expect them to cost more.

I've had several speakers in my RR2. My favorite has been a Weber P12N but I think Jensens and Jensen-like speakers in general would please me in an Ampeg.

-Scott