Ampeg V2 w/Kt88s HOT!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Buffalo915, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Buffalo915

Buffalo915 Member

OK so i recently had my V2 serviced and changed to run with KT88s. The amp itself sounds great but it gets extremely hot! The tubes arent red plating and the bias is pretty conservative. Im just wondering what is normal amount of heat for this head running these tubes. Its hot enough that i can place the back of my hand on the face plate and it stings, and the back of the amp gives off quite a bit of heat. I think my tech measured the tubes at about 430F using a heat gun. He documented the amp on YouTube but im at work at the moment so i have no access to it. I know i have the option of installing a fan, im just wondering if the heat is something worth doing so. I dont want to melt the board or cause any sort of failure due to heat, or should i not be concerned. Im not looking to start up a huge debate about installing a fan, ive read a few of the threads some get ugly haha. So for those who have Kt88s or even 6550s in their V2/V4/Vt22/Vt44 amps is this normal. Thanks!

2. ptrickamp222

ptrickamp222 Member

Is the output tranny in range to run KT-88" I Ran mine with the 7025a's I think they were stock and it rocked. I wish I still had that V-2 head!!!!!

3. Buffalo915

Buffalo915 Member

ive been told and reassured by multiple people over at Ampegv4.com aswell as reading up on different forums that it can handle it. Ive been told that even the gentlemen at mercury magnetics have stated that the origional transformers were overbuilt to handle the extra heater current. That even the late 70s ampeg offered 6550s as a factory upgrade from the 7027a.

4. ptrickamp222

ptrickamp222 Member

:eek:Yeah that's when 7025a were hard to get. I think they make them more available and that's the sound of a Ampeg to me........My brother still has his V-4 on top of a Marshall 4x12......Look Out 120 RMS before clipping.

5. Buffalo915

Buffalo915 Member

yea the other guitarist in my band uses a v4 head on a 412 aswell, its beastly. My v2 was running 7027a tubes but i wanted to try KT88 after hearing a lot of great things about them in the V2

6. Buffalo915

Buffalo915 Member