1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ampeg V3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulandpaul, Oct 31, 2005.

1. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

does anyone know anything about these amps? i can't seem to find much info on them.

I have the opportunity to get one for a decent price and I have been looking at ampegs for awhile. Does anyone know if it compares to a V4 or a Vt22??

here's a pic of the amp in question:

[​IMG]

any help is appreciated.

-paul

2. mike aufrichtig

mike aufrichtig Silver Supporting Member

3. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

4. zachomega

zachomega Member

That is so awesome to see people using my article! :D

-Zach Omega

5. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

This is a great page, for the V* manual alone. Thanks a lot!

6. Tone Loco

Thanks its great, also appreciate the links you have in it...
    but where's the ampeg(s) in your tag?? :confused:

7. zachomega

zachomega Member

Good question. For a while I was only using Ampegs exclusively. I had 2 VT40's, a V2, B25, B25B...I even owned a VT120 at one point. Had a Gemini V project and a Gemini I.

Right now I have a VT22 project, but since it isn't working I don't list it. I also have done some major repair work on other Ampegs.

-Zach Omega

8. Tone Loco

Well with all that as background any recommendations for retubing a Vt40?

I definitely need a new reverb tube but am wondering if I should put in new/nos power & preamp tubes. Nothing is completely fried other than the reverb tube (AFAIK) but I'm curious about the 'reissues' and what you'd recommend for a '71 with original tubes or at least 20 year old ones still in it.

9. zachomega

zachomega Member

I'd retube the entire amplifier. A lot of times the PI tube dies as well. This leads to little or no output. Old tubes tend to become microphonic as well.

I've heard good things about the JJ 6l6GC tubes. I also know that JJ makes a 7027A. Both are supposed to work.

Make sure you get the bias looked at when you have your amp retubed. I'd suggest getting an adjustable bias control installed as well and having the bias capacitors all redone. No sense in taking chances for a couple of dollars in parts.

Also, make sure that the PI coupling caps are good. If these fail, the bias in the amp will go crazy and fry your tubes.

-Zach Omega

10. MVrider

MVrider Member

Really depsnds on how much the amp has been used... I bought a V-2 with the original output tubes. Tested by the tech and given flying colors. The NOS tubes are quite robust.

You DON'T need to put 7027's in your Ampeg. GOOD 6L6's work fine and NOS 7581's are great as well. Check this link to clear up those misconceptions about 7027's

My amp uses 7027's. What should I do?

Also, the V-2 is much like a V-4 with less power, but not exactly. The V-2 has smaller transformers, somewhat different pre-amp ciruitry and a slightly different sound. Some prefer the V-2.

If you need some tubes for your Ampeg, I stocked up on a bunch of good NOS stuff just to make sure I had plenty. Then I sold the Ampeg collection. LOL. If you need NOS tubes for Ampegs, drop a PM.

11. zachomega

zachomega Member

Wrong about the V2...Uses larger transformers. Or at least more voltage. 585 volts on the plates versus 545. Quite a difference and the V2 is rated at 60 watts while the V4 is rated at 100. That means that the V2 is also squeezing more wattage per tube.

As for the preamp circuitry, I didn't notice anything different really on the schematics. Later VT40, V2, VT22, and V4's all share the same schematic with different transformer part numbers. I agree though, they do sound different though.

-Zach Omega

12. MVrider

MVrider Member

Given the rapid changes at Ampeg in those days and the lack of documentation with respect to Ampegs in general and those years in particular, I'm not going to make any generalizations regarding all Ampegs, but...

The transformers in my V-4 were definitely larger than the transformers in my V-2.

As far as the pre-amp circuits being identical that depends on which V-2 you're looking at and which V-4 you're comparing it with.

Again, I won't make any pronouncements regarding all Ampegs, but I can say with certainty that not all V-2's are the same internally so not every V-2 will be identical to a given V-4 circuit. Based on what I've seen of V-2's, I wouldn't bet any two V-4's are identical, either. Again, rapid changes at Ampeg in those days.

Even with my limited experience with Ampegs, I've seen enough variations to make me somewhat hesitant to speculate as to how any given pair of Ampeg amps/transformers/circuits might compare.

13. zachomega

zachomega Member

I can get behind that. Changes were pretty common. I'd still venture to say that most V series share the same or at least extremely similar preamp circuitry. More similar than not. I have a VT22 which uses circuit revision E and this is still before the master volume or distortion models. That gives at least 5 different small variations on the V4 in a couple year period. I was under the impression we were talking about say two V series amps leaving the factory the same day.

The power amp circuitry experienced a few noticeable changes. Particularly the bias supply and eventually to the screen grids.

The transformers physically in both amps are huge. I remember one V4 output transformer I had being 18 pounds. I've never seen a V4 or V2 with more voltage than it says on the schematic. Ampeg seemed pretty good about that.

-Zach Omega

14. Tone Loco

PM sent :)

15. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thanks, Tone Loco.

I've got RCA's, Sylvania, GE plus some original Tung Sols for Ampegs.

I've also got many 7581's which work for Ampeg V-types as well as Fenders and some Marshalls!

All purchased from the best resellers and never used, just stored as surplus tubes.

Free shipping, PayPal OK with no surcharge and discounts for multiple purchases.