Ampeg VL1002, VL502

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Oct 16, 2005.

1. telewacker

telewacker Member

Anyone ever hear these amps? Phil Brown uses one and gets some of the best tones imaginable. I can grab a 50 watt head for $400....whatcha think?

2. ungarn

ungarn Member

I think that is about what they are worth. Check ebay for "completed listings". Good luck!

-Thad

3. garfight

garfight Member

ive played a couple of different models of them and they were all pretty good- the 502 seemed to have a tendency to be a little fizzier than the hundred watter but the tone was still in the same general ballpark.
    if i was gonna buy one though i think i would hold out for a leejackson xls model to come up on ebay- same basic tone but the leejacksons are better built and the eq seems a little more responsive.
    but, if you like it jump on it man :dude

4. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

the lee jackson ones?
    good amps..can be trouble makers from what ive read

5. telewacker

telewacker Member

It was just sold.. Oh well. I see them on ebay but this one was local and I could have saved the shipping costs, and tried it out too. Too many amps, not enough time...or $$.

6. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

Telewacker,

Hey have you tried checking out the VL503? I used to have one and thought it was way ahead of it's time. Three discreet channels with separate eq's. It has a built into attenuator. Five function footpedal and it uses phone line wire/connectors.

I ended up selling it for to fund something else. It was typical Saint Louis Music quality (questionable solder joints). It also had a known bias control issue. I'd love to find one for cheap.

Oh yeah, the cleans on the amp were good but not Fender good. Distortion channels 2 and 3, were awesome for 80's style shredding.

Sherm

7. telewacker

telewacker Member

I've seen the 503s on ebay. I'm more interested in a head, but if one shows up locally I'll check it out.

8. garfight

garfight Member

from what i've heard people had trouble with his modified amps but his production amps are supposed to be rock solid- that being said i've never owned one so who knows??

9. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I had a VL-1002 and it hada great modded JCM 800 tone. A nice plus was the built in attenuator. The VL's are underated IMHO.

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I tried the 502 a few months back and fell in love! That amp had some SERIOUS tone! Of course, I love the '80s cock rock sound, which is what that amp was designed to do. If you like that '80s tone, get it! Killer, killer sounding amp.

Chris

12. grism

grism Member

Voodoo amps now also has a standard mod (5 gain stages) for the 502/1002. Also fixes the grounding issues that this amp has suffered from in the past. The mod cleans up the high/mid/low frequencies, makes the EQ more sensitive and extends the frequency shifts of the mid-shift knob.

Man, I want one!

13. grism

grism Member

Links are good....

Voodoo amps - VL502/1002 standard mod

14. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

I had a VL-1002 and it hada great modded JCM 800 tone. A nice plus was the built in attenuator. The VL's are underated IMHO.

The attenuator is not an attenuator in the way most people think of an attenuator. It's essentially a cross fade style post phase inverter master volume. It tends to sound thing when set lower but if you use it sparingly it may give you the desired tones you are looking for.

Hope it helps
    Trace

15. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

Voodoo amps now also has a standard mod (5 gain stages) for the 502/1002. Also fixes the grounding issues that this amp has suffered from in the past. The mod cleans up the high/mid/low frequencies, makes the EQ more sensitive and extends the frequency shifts of the mid-shift knob. Man, I want one!

As I recall these heads are cheaper than the Marshall JCM800 single channels but I haven't looked at Ebay recently regarding these heads.

Have a great day! :)
    Trace

16. Swarty

Swarty Member

I owned a 100w w/ 3 channels w/ the goofy key and also owned the single chanel 50w. The 100w was not all that great, but that 50w was massive sounding. Build quality on both amps is pretty bad.

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I think I remember Matte saying these were very under-rated amps...

18. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    I leave my ($500-used) VL503 at church---The "attenuator" works fine from 5-10--tho I've heard it can burn nearby parts in the circuit.

The clean channel has a very nice 1/2 Fender-1/2 Brit blend.

The crunch channel sounds Live at Leeds-ish---Great dirty rhythm, sounds pretty dry on it's own, but pockets well in band mix.

The 3rd/lead channel DOES scooped to hot-rodded Marshall --perfect for hot dog song-ending rolling cadenzas (played by 50-somethin' year old slightly balding and overweight former rockers) at contemporary services.

Does anyone know about he H-U-G-E cast-frame Celestion in it??

Jeff R.