Ampeg VT40 and VT22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Jan 11, 2015.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey I'm rebuilding two ampeg and wanted to hear from you nice folks:

(1)your opinions on replacement speakers that might be less efficient to tame the volume of these beast if possible but to take advantage of their unique midrange tones

I could recone the originals in the VT22 since they don't sound that bad, but the stock speakers in the VT40 are not terribly great sounding. Once I had a mix of Jensen neo 10s and Celestion vintage 10s in my old VT40, but it was still too loud. So I'd like to see if you folks favor any specific lower efficiency speakers

(2) source for filter caps as 'direct drop in replacements' (or your workaround with picts)

(3) your experiences with attenuators with these amps. Every time I used one with two I owned previously, I ended up blowing something, a fuse or a board component or a tube. It could be a coincidence, but I'd like to see if you folks can comfortably take a few decibels off without blowing stuff up like I seem to do.

2. amphog

amphog Member

Fliptops has the caps and most everything else you will need. The cans are pricey compared to loose caps. There is plenty of room in the chassie to ty rap caps, leave the cans unconnected. Can't help you on the speakers.

3. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I used to play through a V22 with Vintage 30's, I had a Les Paul Jr. with a Rio Grande P90. It was punchy and really tight bottom end. Headroom was pretty good.

4. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

I have run the CE cap cans in a couple V4's that I have redone. Some people like them and some do not favor them... In the heads that I have used them in they are still working great.
    After a little research, the last few heads I have done I run two F&T cap cans (50x50 and 100x100) and then another 50x50 F&T cap can with a single 50/500volt cap inside the chassis.

I am not at my computer with a link to some pics and descriptions to this set-up, but I will see what I can find.

5. DrewwerD

DrewwerD Member

An Ampeg? Not loud? Heresy.

6. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

The tech who rebuilt mine used F&T. Not sure of the specifics. I use two Weber 10a125s and two EVM 10Ms in mine, but I like the headroom. Maybe a quad of GBs?

7. BluesLou

BluesLou Member

Not sure I can help with much information.

I bought this amp back in I think 1975? brand new.
    http://s254.photobucket.com/user/BluesLou/library/Ampeg VT-40

I had a amp tech that worked in conjunction with Mandolin Bros. in Staten Island, NY go over the amp around 2001.
    Everything was basically ok, the Tech did recap the amp and put some new tubes in it. He gave me all the old parts and tubes when I picked it up.
    With the original speakers and using the master volume it seems pretty manageable even at home where it stays now.
    Heavy son of a gun, I put casters on mine.

I never tried a attenuator. Wish I could offer more.

8. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Silver Supporting Member

Rebuilt my VT40 - Fliptops all the way. CHeck with him on the speakers to see what he recommends. PHONE/FAX: 716.886.1585
    EMAIL: [​IMG]

9. amphog

amphog Member

WGS has some new 10's coming out at NAMM.

10. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I just purchased a VT22 yesterday (2x12) and it has a pair of Celestion G12-65's in it and they sound really good with this amp. Since the sensitivity of the G12-65's is 97db it helps tame the volume a bit. However the rocker switch over the midrange control is not working and I don't know what position it's set on! Man this is one heavy sucker!!!!

11. amphog

amphog Member

Great amp, get it maintained if it is not. Flip tops has many parts for these.