Ampfest 28th jan 2012 (Drz Zwreck, CAA OD50, Mesa Boogie RA100, Marshall 1959)

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by mary04, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mary04

mary04 Member

Here`s a 10 minute resyme of yesterdays ampfest at my place. We had planned our next meeting to take place over the summer, but heavy shopping during the last 3 weeks demanded a new meeting this quick. We show you the DrZ Zwreck, my old Marshall jmp 1959 (only this time with NOS Telefunken EL34 tubes), a Custom Audio Amplifier OD50 head and a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic 100 head. We have a arsenal of quality guitars (several CS strats and teles, Tom Anderson, Les Pauls & ES335 and a Tyler Studio Elite HD). The Zwreck runs through the matching cab loaded with a Alnico Blue and a Gold. All the other amps goes through my 2x12 cab loaded with Scumback M75`s (100 watt).

The last part was quite fun. We plugged three CS strats in a Lehle guitarswitcher, and ran them through the Zwreck using the same ampsettings all the way. Point was to see if there was any tonal differences in the guitars. You hear for yourself. Play loud and enjoy!

2. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I am a marshall guy but I gotta say I think the Zwreck was hands down the best sounding amp there. How much of the overdrive was the result of pushing it with the Klon?

3. mary04

mary04 Member

Most of the overdrive comes from the amp itself. We push the Zwreck real hard and then tame it down with a Alex attenuator. The Klon most certainly fattens up the tone quite a bit, but the Zwreck got plenty overdrive built inside. You have to play loud though, so some kind of attenuation is recommended.

4. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I really like the Royal a lot.

5. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

What year is the JMP 1959? It seemed like the recording volume dropped off when you demoed the OD50 and the JMP.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. mary04

mary04 Member

I`m not sure when my 1959 jmp is buildt. Its most likely a late 70 or early 80. When it comes to the volum drop I was not sure what you ment. I had to watch the video again (with headphones). When the jmp part starts the guitar volum is set low. After a few seconds the player turns the guitar up, and the volum is exactley like the rest IMO. On the OD50 I agree with you that the overall volum is a bit lower. Reason is probably that the amps mastervolum is set a bit lower than the jmp. The Zooms auto level adjustment should compensate for that, but I have no other explaination. I can however asure you that it was loud enough in the room.

7. TimH

TimH Member

The big surprise here for me: I liked the TA100 a LOT more than the OD50. That and the Z wreck were the standout amps for me. The Marshall sounded terrible actually.

Of the strats...give me that Brazilian relic please!