Ampilifer on a rug.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Randell scott, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Hello. I got a Johnson JT-50 JT-100 Mirage 80 pounds ampilifer. Can I use it on a rug? And can I get shocked from it If I do? Dose it make a difference in tone Thanks.

2. RLD

RLD Member

3. randombastage

randombastage Member

If you are barefoot, the rug is wet and you stick your finger through a hole in the chassis and touch the heater wire while the amp is on...then definitely. Otherwise I don't think so.

4. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Thanks for the reply. I have never used a ampilfer on a rug before. Thanks.

5. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Guess not unless you include a filled bathtub

[​IMG]

6. partytrain

partytrain Member

The amplifier on the rug really ties the room together.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

While I too found myself scratching my head at the OP, a little reflection helped me recall the issues I had using a L6 AX2 on the concrete floor of my basement. When the Cat 5 pedalboard cable was on the floor, the gremlins went wild. When the cable was suspended off the floor or on a different surface, it worked great.

8. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

So, out of curiosity, what do you normally put your amp on, such that a rug is so different you worry about the amp not working or shocking you?

9. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

A hard wood floor. And Since it was my first big real expensive ampilifer I did not know the answer to the question. I never had such a real nice ampilfer that size. And never had a rug in my room I play in untill today. So I thought it can not hurt to ask about somthing I did not know anything about?

10. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Congrats on the amp. Hope you rock on and keep asking as we all do if there´s something we don´t know :)

11. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I can play really well now. I going to buy 3 more of them at Guitar Center and the other 3 models as well. They used to be over a grand. Used under 400 with the pedalboard. Mine used to be 800 dollars. Free to me as a Christmas present. I will get them retolexed and put gold plated screws in them. And change the speaker grills. I am missing the big pedalboard. I'm looking for it. The mirage is the best 80 pound ampilifer I have ever had. And I fell sorry for the other 3 Mirages at Gitar Center. no one will buy them under 180 dollars that is a steal for them.

I guess I will be like Scott Grove and collect Johnson ampilifers. Lol.

12. rsm

rsm Member

materials can absorb or reflect sound too. hard floors and walls will have more impact

13. JohnB

JohnB Member

Wet rugs have more damping than dry ones

14. Chris O

Chris O Member

I see what ya did there... :cool:

15. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

I believe it's okay to use Johnson JT-50 JT-100 JG-60 Marguis Mirage JG-610 B510 80 pounds ampilifer on a rug covered floor

:bong

16. lustycourtier

lustycourtier Member

Is 80 pounds the weight or the price?

17. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I would never consider putting an amp on a rug. It sucks all of the mojo right out of the amp. Not to mention the huge risk of static build up from my cotton/poly blend sweater vest when I roll around on the carpet doing my usual stage show. No amps on rugs for me. No sir. Way to risky.

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

what gauge strings are you using?

19. Chris O

Chris O Member

I think you meant to ask what picks he's using... :rimshot

20. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

It weighs 80 pounds. It used to be 800 dollars. I got it free for Christmas. I going to git the 3 other Johnson ampilifers. Tube ampilifers. And get them retolexed. They used to be over a grand. Now 400 dorllars or less used. I need it's footpeadle board always missing. I will buy 3 other Mirages as well. Will have 3 of the same ampilifer. Plus the 3 other models that are tube.

They do 10 times more than I need. With the missing pedalboard I could do more with mine. I love the sounds. The Fender Blackface sound, Unviox AC 360 sound, And Johnson clean is my favorite sounds. Some one on another fourm said it is a pawn shop ampilifer. And it was a POS. And That I would sell it for a smaller ampilifer since I had no money for a bigger ampilifer. Yea right. I want 3 more of the same model. Under 170 dollars. That is a steal.

I love how I can have almost any sound I find on YouTube or any place else in the ampilifer. I just dial it in. It is the best ampilifer I have ever had. Some people that have the others told me they still do not understand all of what the ampilfer dose. It is complected. But fun to use. They learn something new everyday. A guy from Digitech told me here he still pulls his out from time to time. And his friends fix them on the side. I love mine. If it is a pwan shop ampilifer it is the best free ampilfer I have ever used. It makes me want 3 more of them. And the other models as well of that brand. Not my pictures. Mine is clean. But got a few white spots on it. And the speaker grill is fine. But needs a new one. It is not that clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015