• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amping an acoustic . ( Watts )

major-minor

Not sure if I should be here , or in the amp forum.

Using a Genz Benz Shennandoah 100 watt amp as monitor, going direct out from amp to PA.

Is there an advantage to getting an amp with more watts ( say, 300 ) if all I'm using the amp for is monitor purposes? Or, is the extra headroom going to help with the sound that comes from the PA?

I have a chance for a used Genz with 300 watts, but not sure what advantage that would give me.

Advice please?

royd

headroom is always good especially if you drop tune at all. Bass frequencies need a lot of power. If you're just playing straight chords in a band with your voicing centered in the mids, I'm not sure you'd gain much. I expect both Genz Benz rigs to be very high quality although I think the Compak (I assume the 300 watt amp is that) is really cool. For me, the lighter weight would make a big difference. Also realize that the Compak is only 300 watts with an additional external speaker. It is 175 with the internal speaker. None of that makes any difference if you're using the DI out and by-passing the power amp anyway. FWIW, the Compak has a really good DI.

As you know, wattage doesn't necessarily equal volume. Voicing matters but most of all speaker efficiency matters there. Doubling wattage - all else being equal - gives you only about 3 db more volume. That is a difference easily found between two speakers where you don't have to look hard to find 5 or 6 db's difference in efficiency. A 6 db increase in volume would be the equivalent of 4X the power.

royd

I didn't ask whether you're happy with the sound your getting now... is this just GAS or are you feeling something is missing?

major-minor

Truth is-- I traded my 100 watt GB Shennandoah for a Fishman Loudbox Artist. Having buyer's remorse and am contemplating getting my GB back. However---the shop also has a slightly used GB compact 300 ( for more money, of course ).

So, that's my situation. Would go for more power of the 300 if I thought there was an advantage in doing so. The small size is nice.

I also have a GB extention cab I could use with it.

Trending Topics