Amplification option - inexpensive and great

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Paul Conway, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

A friend has just picked up a Mackie SRM150 as a vocal PA, but it turns out that it makes a great amplification option for an electro-nylon. We tried a Godin Multiac, a Takamine EAN60 and a Taylor nylon. The cool thing about it is, it seems to reduce the 'quack' you get from piezoelectric pickups quite considerably. Plus, it's dirt cheap. Outperformed the AER amp we had to hand, certainly. A word to the wise....http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

wow that looks cool. If it had verb it would be perfect.

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I was really surprised. I mean, it's a tiny speaker. I have no idea what Mackie have put into it, but I was really impressed.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

A lot of folks use a simple JBL EON2 powered speaker ... I tried a number of acoustic amps (Fishman, Fender, Genz Benz) then someone suggested the EON and it's great.

5. chipdog

chipdog Member

What model AER did you A/B against? Have you tried the SRM with any steel string guitars? I'm interested because I use an AER Acousticube now and wouldn't mine lowering my cost.

6. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Not sure which model AER. None of us has a steel-string electro.

7. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I use an AER compact 60, which is great, but I recently picked up this:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_co_700-210.html#

Of course, it is a bass amp, and that is what I bought it for, but it was nice to discover that it also makes a KILLER acoustic guitar amp.

Obviously, with 2X10s, a horn, and 340 watts, it will sound bigger than the AER, but the acoustic quality is what is remarkable to me. Nice/ crispy/ natural acoustic sound without a hint of "quack".

8. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

I thought the Mackie looked very cool also so I went to GC and tried one out with my guitar. Just too small and tinny. Probably ok as a personal vocal monitor or a little practice amp at home but no way out anywhere on a gig.

A friend of mine recently bought a pair of used Yamaha MS60S speakers in a pawn shop and I've gotta tell ya...they work awesome as a stand alone amp. They have 3 inputs, (2) 1/4" a (1) balanced with volume and tone controls and a master volume. Unfortunately no phantom power or verb but good grief do they have tone and volume! This is a 2 way speaker with an 8" woofer and a tweeter with integrated 60 watt amp. Total weight about 15-20 lbs. Anyway...thought ya'll might like to check one of these out if you can find one. I found a pair here on the local Craigslist and snapped them up. Less for both of them than the Mackie by it's self.

9. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

What guitar did you use? Nylon or steel? I wouldn't have described the sound with my nylon as either small or tinny.

10. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

Paul...I was using a CA Cargo with the new Fishman VT pickup, steel strings. You can certainly dial in a little more bass with the Mackie unit but with that small of a speaker it's just unrealistic to be able to produce enough bass for lets say a medium-large room. Mind you I think it's a great little amp as a personal vocal monitor or something to practice through at home. I just wouldn't want to rely on it as a "mini-PA" out on a gig unless it was a very small room with some pretty quiet folks. Now if they made it with at least an 8" woofer it would probably be great. It's just that at the price it goes for there are a lot of better options IMO.

Jim B

11. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Cool. Thanks for the input, Jim.