Amplified Nation Wonderland Overdrive

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Have one on the way (currently being built). Power section will be 4 EL34's instead of the normal 6L6's, because I want the OD channel to be more like #183 and the cleans to be a little chimey-er. Matching 2x12 cab coming too. I'm thinking of putting a G12-65 and an Alnico Gold in the cab. Any thoughts on that speaker combo?

eSS eSS

No just another "Builder" copying his designs.

What I meant is that particular model is a "take" on a particular circuit and not an "exact" copy.

Reactions: Rod

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
No just another "Builder" copying his designs.

What I meant is that particular model is a "take" on a particular circuit and not an "exact" copy.

Yes, I understand that, but my question is still valid as stated as the sonic characteristics are similar, if not almost identical.

eSS eSS

From what I know the Wonderland Overdrive model has a gain channel that isn't on the original or many of the clones...so it may be hard to get some opinions on it. Either way hope you get some information.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
That's valid, thanks... I should state that I'm mostly getting it for the clean channel.

eSS eSS

Then you should get a lot of responses...G12-65s seemed great for the clean side in my Fuchs but for a speaker that supposedly makes "everything" better the Alnicos were...interesting...maybe just not what they were intended for.

Of course those were Blues...I find the Golds pair much better with modern amplifiers.

greg777

In Constant Pursuit of Tone
Gold Supporting Member
The g12 65s are great in the WOD. Have not tried the gold. The mix may be good. I have an 6l6 version so not sure how it will be with the EL34s. I don't think it will be disappointing. The EL34's may rock a little more. I would love to hear it with the EL34's though.

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
i'm not sure that El34 power tubes would lend it to be what I consider "chimey-er".
Putting in a Cele Gold will help that cause more I think.

gtrplr71

i'm not sure that El34 power tubes would lend it to be what I consider "chimey-er".
Putting in a Cele Gold will help that cause more I think.
I agree I think 6L6's lend to the chimey. EL34 are a mid focused tube. good speaker choice.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I agree I think 6L6's lend to the chimey. EL34 are a mid focused tube. good speaker choice.

I think of EL34's as a cousin of EL84's and that mid-focus is what I consider chimey... maybe just semantics, but I think of 6l6's as being 'glassy'.

Cool thing about the amp is that it can run either with a bias adjustment.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Wouldn't it make sense to ask the builder? He must have used different speakers when building his clone. Which did he think sounded best?

I have but I value the input from this board also. The other factor is that the cab is going to be wired for mono/stereo. When in stereo the Gold will run off my Matchless.

MHG

Congrats! I've had the Hooligan (2x6v6), Prime Minister, and Dirty Wonderland. Fantastic D-style cleans, and amazing overdrive! Great amps, and phenomenal customer service.

Don't forget to get a nice delay, and some longer cables, to run through the FX loop. The longer cables, as well as just using the FX loop at all, are important for achieving smoother fusion style lead tones. There's a marked difference in tone when you have something plugged into the FX loop.

Without the FX loop engaged, the overdrive is a bit more aggressive, and edgy, compared to the smoother tones when the FX loop is in use. Both sound amazing!......just depends on what you're going for. I like using the FX Loop for overdrive tones, but prefer the cleans without it.

TCMx3

1 each Gold and G12-65 is the Mayer cabinet style.

I like the 2 golds in my Two Rock cabinet that I use with my Crystal. I like it but it doesn't sound much like Mayer's rig to me. YMMV though Im not going for that sound at all.

Im curious about a comment made earlier, I would have figured the amp was a JM Sig with an ODS gain stage added to it. If that's not it, what is it?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom