Amplifier kits ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jakob, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jakob

jakob Member

Hi.

I'm going to build my first amplifier.

Any kits out there you recommend ?

I want a head not a combo.

I'm thinking around 10W, something that sounds like a Marshall.
    Something not to loud so I can get the power tubes cooking without
    blowing out my ears...;)

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

You can build a DIY 18 watt Marshall. I think they have schematics at 18watt.com. The other option is to start with an Epiphone Valve Jr. and mod it to Marshall specs. I've got one like that and it smokes.

3. jakob

jakob Member

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

A Valve Jr. costs $125 and like $40 to mod. I got mine already modded for $100. I understand you want to build an amp for fun, but damn, $225 for a single ended EL84 kit? That's kinda expensive.

5. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Firefly, marshall 18w, d'lite 22 would be good ones. Easiest starter kits would be a Fender Champ or Princeton.

6. jakob

jakob Member

That's true, it is expensive but since I live in Iceland I can't buy the Valve Jr. here.
    I'm learning about amps and I thought I would learn most from building myself a amp
    but I can buy a Tiny Terror for the same amount of money the kit is going to cost me..
    So it's a hard choice...what would you guys do if you where learning, how did you start out ?

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I still haven't built a whole amp because I'm not that good yet. I've been learning what I can by tweaking my own amps and the amps of friends and family. My family and good friends will let me test out my skills on their stuff, and so far I haven't blown anything up.

8. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I'm in the same boat as far as wanting to finally build my own amp, even if it is just a champ. I get looking at all the different kits then I see that for similar money I can buy something thats already built by someone more knowledgable than me (or so I would assume).

I think we should just bite the bullet buy a kit a get into it. Allen amps supposedly has very detailed step by step instructions, whereas some of the other sellers don't offer them. So that's a big consideration for me. Here's the link for allen and a couple others.

http://www.allenamps.com/index.php

http://www.torresengineering.com/newtweedcham.html

http://www.guytronix.com/contactordering.html

9. jakob

jakob Member

Maybe that's a good idea, just take it slow and work on my own amps when they brake down ? That's what I have been doing with my Fargen.

That's a lot cheaper and it's going to take a long time learning just the basics so maybe I should learn that before I buy a kit...

I don't know I'm totally lost hehe...

10. jakob

jakob Member

Yeah maybe just bite the bullet ;)

http://www.trinityamps.com/

I have heard good things about them.

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

Jakob, the AX84 kits from Doberman is what I thought of first as I read your OP. The AX84 group is a great group to get involved with, they will help you out and you will learn a lot doing one of those kits. Download and read the AX84 theory document and by the time you're done with that kit you will have learned a great deal and will have a great sounding little amp. I strongly advise it.

There are other kits and companies out there to choose from, but none with as much support and none where you will learn as much doing it (if you study the document and not just put the pieces together). And besides, some of the other kits mentioned would not be a good choice for a beginning project.

The P1 is a great amp, you can start with that, then when your done you may want to modify it into a High Octane (very Marshally), or just go with the HO to begin with, but realize higher gain requires better lead dress and could mean more sorting out after it's up and running. Better, IMO, to start with the lower gain amp first.

Hope that helps, and good luck. It's a lot of fun and it's addicting.

12. jakob

jakob Member

Sounds good hasserl.

Turret board or eyelet board ?

What's the difference ? :huh

Eyelet has holes in the board ?

13. hasserl

hasserl Member

I like eyelet boards, they're easy to work with. Turret boards can look beautiful though, IMO the best looking boards are turret boards.

The difference is an eyelet board simply has holes in the board that are filled with a metal ring (eyelet). You insert the components/wires into the eyelet and fill it with solder. Turrets are little raised terminals that are round and hollow. You insert the components wires into the open end of the turret like you do the eyelets on an eyelet board. But with a turret you can also wrap the leads around the outside of the turret.

Think: Eyelets = Fender, Turrets = Marshall.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've heard nothing but good things about Allen amps. They offer theirs in kits - so that's another option worth considering.

15. awallace

awallace Member

I recently built a 20w Marshall head with a kit from Soultone amps- mickey_c on this board is the owner. Top notch stuff (Mercury Magnetics, a beautiful chassis) and good instructions- I'd highly recommend one if you want to go the kit route... he sometimes has them on Ebay for $699... well worth it in my opinion. The first one was so much fun and sounds so good I'd like to build another one.

I did an A/B test with a friend's '69 20w and with the same brands of tubes in both neither of us could hear much difference and neither one sounded better than the other.

gtrguy

16. cugel

cugel Member

i built a gds 18 watt kit
    while more expensive than others in its class, it uses top notch parts and good transformers
    i just checked out the soultone site and that looks like a great kit by any measure

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  17. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Sorry for the plug, but mentioned earlier about kit documentation........... Guytronix has a ton of docs to make sure the Customer is successful. Plus you get my dumb-ass to help if you hit a snag ;^)

18. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I've built three Mission amps (two tweed-deluxe and a tweed super).

Excellent quaility parts, individual help available if you get stuck

www.missionamps.com