Amplifire Delay & Reverb Levels?

Detroit ABA

I am sorry if this is a noob question but with the delay and reverb levels in the Amplifire, how do the -db settings equate to mix level? For example, is -12db the equivalent to 25% mix? Or, is the another way of thinking about it?

chrisjnyc

I never even noticed the db settings until you mentioned it. I just eyeball the echo mix level slider

Imerkat

Silver Supporting Member
i was under the impression that 0db is no attenuation and you would add/subtract as needed because the perceived level differs with each type of reverb.

redmonda

This is my main issue with simply labeling things in "db". We need a reference (db is always measured in reference to something else. Typically in Audio, we're talking dbU or dbV, but they tend to leave off the U or V). This db could be in reference to the current amp/patch level, in which case 0db should be unity or 50% mix etc. 0 db could also be an absolute level (like 0 dbU or 0 dbV) which could be very different from your amp/patch level (i.e. if you set your patch volume to be -0.5 dBV then 0 dBV would be a bit louder than your patch, etc.). I'm an engineer and hate ambiguity :dunno

Reactions: woz

Jhatem81

This is my main issue with simply labeling things in "db". We need a reference (db is always measured in reference to something else. Typically in Audio, we're talking dbU or dbV, but they tend to leave off the U or V). This db could be in reference to the current amp/patch level, in which case 0db should be unity or 50% mix etc. 0 db could also be an absolute level (like 0 dbU or 0 dbV) which could be very different from your amp/patch level (i.e. if you set your patch volume to be -0.5 dBV then 0 dBV would be a bit louder than your patch, etc.). I'm an engineer and hate ambiguity :dunno
maybe db is the volume of the repeat so 0 db is mix 50 and -8 db would be mix of 15-20%??

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
I will say that some of the ambiguity in the settings like that does do one thing - forces me to use my ears and actually listen to what's happening. How I hear it 0db is a 50% mix or same level as the source signal any change is a drop or boost vs the source.

Trending Topics