Amplifire expression pedal control via MIDI

boogieman75

Hello, I am having issues getting an expression pedal to control the wah pedal in AF via MIDI.

Here is my setup. I am running an DMZ-8D MIDI out to Eventide H9 MIDI IN -> MIDI out/thru -> Amplifire MIDI IN.

I have an AMT EX-50 connected to the H9 via pedal input and it works fine on H9. But I am not sure how I can get the midi to pass-thru to the AF. the H9 is set to Midi - Thru. The H9 is on Midi channel 4. The AF is on channel 1. The he DMZ-8D is working on both devices controlling the presets etc... but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the expression pedal to control the AF. I have also tried hooking up the AMT to the DMZ-8D expression jack and again, that will control the H9 but will not pass thru to the AF.

On the H9 i have tried sending XMT CC to cc21 which is the wah midi cc with no luck.

If anyone with a similar setup can chime in and provide assistance, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

texasdave

Hello, I am having issues getting an expression pedal to control the wah pedal in AF via MIDI.

Here is my setup. I am running an DMZ-8D MIDI out to Eventide H9 MIDI IN -> MIDI out/thru -> Amplifire MIDI IN.

I have an AMT EX-50 connected to the H9 via pedal input and it works fine on H9. But I am not sure how I can get the midi to pass-thru to the AF. the H9 is set to Midi - Thru. The H9 is on Midi channel 4. The AF is on channel 1. The he DMZ-8D is working on both devices controlling the presets etc... but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the expression pedal to control the AF. I have also tried hooking up the AMT to the DMZ-8D expression jack and again, that will control the H9 but will not pass thru to the AF.

On the H9 i have tried sending XMT CC to cc21 which is the wah midi cc with no luck.

If anyone with a similar setup can chime in and provide assistance, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
What firmware are you running on the AmpliFire?

texasdave

You may have tested this, but if the H9 is set to THRU, it won't transmit the XMT CC 21 from the H9. Of course, if it's in XMT mode then your presets won't be sent from DMZ in your current config, based on my understanding of the H9 manual.

FROM H9 DOCS:
[OUTPUT] – MIDI Transmit/Thru Select (XMT, THRU)
Press the HOTKNOB button to select. Turn the Knob to select either MIDI out to

either transmit (XMT) H9 MIDI data or pass incoming MIDI data thru the H9.

Note: if OUTPUT is set to THRU, none of the H9’s MIDI Transmit functions will be operative.​

Have you taken the M9 out of the picture and tested from the DMZ to the AmpliFire?

I was troubleshooting a different MIDI controller and used this to troubleshoot:
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ Sent USB to my computer from the controller to see exactly what msgs were being sent.

I have tested CC 21 from another controller on the AmpliFire vers 1.2 and it works.

BCy2k

Okay, if I understand how you've got this set up (and we have identical rigs from the sounds of it), the problem is you're trying to pass midi CC (from your AMT pedal) into your AmpliFire from the H9 midi out, while having the AMT pedal connected to the pedal jack in on the H9. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that can't work.

When you run your AMT into the H9 that's all it will control. No midi CC data will pass thru the midi out (or thru) because it's connected as a hardware CV extension of the H9 (only).

If you connect the AMT to one of the two expression jacks on the DMC-8d - depending on which jack you connect to, one will be wah, or volume (make sure those blocks are engaged on your preset(s)). This will mess up whatever expression control you had set up on your H9, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to get the expression pedal to work with just the H9 from the DMC-8d. I just don't have mine set up that way.

I actually have three of these little AMT CC pedals, two for my AF (vol & wah) and one patched directly into my H9. See the PM I sent you as well. Best wishes sorting this out - it is fixable for sure.

boogieman75

Okay, if I understand how you've got this set up (and we have identical rigs from the sounds of it), the problem is you're trying to pass midi CC (from your AMT pedal) into your AmpliFire from the H9 midi out, while having the AMT pedal connected to the pedal jack in on the H9. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that can't work.

When you run your AMT into the H9 that's all it will control. No midi CC data will pass thru the midi out (or thru) because it's connected as a hardware CV extension of the H9 (only).

If you connect the AMT to one of the two expression jacks on the DMC-8d - depending on which jack you connect to, one will be wah, or volume (make sure those blocks are engaged on your preset(s)). This will mess up whatever expression control you had set up on your H9, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to get the expression pedal to work with just the H9 from the DMC-8d. I just don't have mine set up that way.

I actually have three of these little AMT CC pedals, two for my AF (vol & wah) and one patched directly into my H9. See the PM I sent you as well. Best wishes sorting this out - it is fixable for sure.
Thanks BCy2K! I need to contact Disaster and see if they will send me the custom firmware. Like you mentioned, that is probably the missing piece here.

boogieman75

You may have tested this, but if the H9 is set to THRU, it won't transmit the XMT CC 21 from the H9. Of course, if it's in XMT mode then your presets won't be sent from DMZ in your current config, based on my understanding of the H9 manual.

FROM H9 DOCS:
[OUTPUT] – MIDI Transmit/Thru Select (XMT, THRU)
Press the HOTKNOB button to select. Turn the Knob to select either MIDI out to

either transmit (XMT) H9 MIDI data or pass incoming MIDI data thru the H9.

Note: if OUTPUT is set to THRU, none of the H9’s MIDI Transmit functions will be operative.​

Have you taken the M9 out of the picture and tested from the DMZ to the AmpliFire?

I was troubleshooting a different MIDI controller and used this to troubleshoot:
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ Sent USB to my computer from the controller to see exactly what msgs were being sent.

I have tested CC 21 from another controller on the AmpliFire vers 1.2 and it works.
Thanks texasdave!

Trending Topics