Amplifire hands-on demo opportunities (Roll call)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by aleclee, Mar 26, 2015.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Now that a few of us have Amplifires, I thought it might be nice for those willing to offer folks an in-person demo to identify themselves. For a new product that is sold direct, it's hard for folks to try before they buy. If current owners provide opportunities to see what it's about, its a nice way to develop a user community.

If anyone in the Denver area is curious about the little red box, I'd be happy to let you see what it's about. :)

2. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I'm in.

I'm doing the AF+H9 thing as well, so this would be great.

Between these two pedals there's a lot of ear candy goin' on. I feel like I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what either pedal is capable of.

3. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

I'm located on Long Island - Old Bethpage, if any one wants to check it out. I can hook it up to a CLR or Reactor (although I currently having it going through an Amplifi).

4. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and would be willing to have some folks come by. I've got a Tech 21 Power Engine, a CLR, and studio monitors for playback.

5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Super cool idea! :aok I will be traveling to Denver, and will have some down time to check out the Amplifire.

I am in Brooklyn, so Old Bethpage would be a trek, but might be worth it.

6. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Great idea!

I'm in Des Moines - Iowa.

7. aleclee

Bump with a pic of the latest iteration of the board. Everything (including the wireless) is now powered by the Voodoo Lab 4x4 mounted under the board. :)

[​IMG]

Edit: here'a pic of my whole rig (guitar / pedalboard / QSC K8) fitting in the trunk of my MINI. I also have a CLR but it doesn't fit in the my car's tiny trunk. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  8. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

9. jjb

jjb Member

Great looking board. I am thinking of doing something very similar. How is the Voodoo working for power - my understanding is that the Amplifire requires 1000 mA - yet the Voodoo puts out 400 mA per output. I assume you are using a current doubler cable?? - but that will give 800 mA. Is everything working OK with that?

10. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Nice Alec.

Did you get any kind of custom firmware for your DMC-8D? I just ordered one yesterday. Matthew told me they already have a basic firmware available for AmpliFire (which I requested for mine). He also told me the firmware for the DMC-3XL Gen2 & DMC-4 Gen2 are a generation ahead of what is currently available in terms of firmware for the 6D & 8D. He did say they will be bringing the 6D & 8D up to the same level sometime soon though. He emphasized that would be a free firmware update of course.

I stumbled onto an okay deal for a used gHOST converter for my MZ-70CDR (and/or my G3x), but the more I think about it, I may add an H9 core (already have a max) at some point. The more time I spend with the H9 the more I like it.

11. aleclee

I'm using a current doubler for the Amplifire--Tom has indicated that, while the power supply provides 1A, the Amplifire works with 800mA. 400mA is sufficient for both the H9 and G50 but that means that all four 400mA ports are taken.

The one unpleasant surprise was powering the H9. It's both reverse polarity and uses a 5.5x2.5mm connector. While Voodoo Lab makes both reverse polarity and 2.5mm cables, they don't connect to each other. I ended up purchasing a barrel plug converter from Amazon for use with the reverse polarity cable and it seems to work fine.

I'm using the Universal DMC-8D firmware at the moment. I've offered to beta test new firmware with the Amplifire but they haven't yet taken me up on that offer. Glad to hear that they've got more cool stuff for the DMC-6 & 8. The pedal has a lot of untapped potential.

IMO, my H9 Max is definitely a luxury item given the Amplifire's capabilities. Aside from self-indulgence ;) the reason I got the H9 (aside from a smokin' deal) was that my AxeFx got me hooked on pitch effects. I use a number of different pitch effects, from EVH-style detune to intelligent harmonizer to whammy. While chorus is a serviceable substitute for detune, there's nothing in the Amplifire to cover the other stuff. Rather than get a single-purpose pedal like the PitchFactor, I figured I'd go with the smaller and more versatile H9.

12. dmock66

dmock66 Member

[​IMG]

Here's my board. It's not quite as clean as Alec's - but I like it.

13. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    That board looks tight, Alec. I really like that.

I'm happy to meet up with people and let them try out the AmpliFire. I'm in Logan, Utah. That's in northern Utah, closer to the Idaho border than Salt Lake.

14. aleclee

It's very likable. :)

One nice thing about your bigger board is having the DMC towards the top of the board. It's kind of tall and on my board it's not always easy to hit buttons on the Amplifire sitting behind it.

15. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I ran into a similar situation when I had a Rocktron Midimate along the front/bottom of my board. I had issues getting to the bottom row of the M9. That made it a simple layout choice to get the M9 down to the front/bottom.

I like your board also. =)

16. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I live 20 miles south of Fort Smith, Arkansas if anyone in my area would like to see or hear the Amplifire.

17. aleclee

Bump. I demoed my setup this evening with an out of town TGP'er who was in CO on a business trip.

18. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Hey Alec, I just sent you a PM. I'd love to check it out!

19. aleclee

Reply sent :)

20. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Big props to Alec for allowing me to demo his Amplifire rig! He took time from his busy day to drive thru a snow storm, so I could kick the tires on the amplifire.

Yes, I signed up for the waiting list for the amplfire... it is one cool pedal

:dude