Amplifire in the house - now with 3 more soundclips

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by journo, Jan 31, 2015.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi!

Just got back to Sweden from NAMM and I managed to talk Tom King into letting me bring an Amplifire with me as I have been on his case since he first told me abot it more than a year ago. He probably got tired of me and kindly let me bring one.

I have now spent my first hour with it and I didn't manage to get past the Twin as it is such a good amp model. My personal experience with modelers is that the clean sounds are hard to get. Whenever I try a new modeler I dial up a clean Fender model and I usually find it very lacking in fatness and power when I player the E and B strings. Not so here. Without any editing at all it was just there. I tried the unit with a Tyler SE Burning Water and I got all kinds of typical Twin sounds without any effort or problem. Very happy about this!

I haven't yet got a hold of the editor so everything I did was with the units user interface which worked so well that I didn't need the manual. Good thing since that's not available yet. :D

The compressor is nice and functional and does funk and country well. Just be aware that if you use a lot of drive, you mau need to lower the compressor level in order to keep the sound clean.

The delay is fine. The real surprise was the reverb which is excellent. Clear and defined and glues the reverb tail to the dry signal in a very nice way. The Small reverb with some low pass and high pass applied and with an appropriate level makes me think this unit may appeal to the guys who want the amp in the room feeling with headphones.

Stay tuned as I will be beack with more thoughts of the other amp models and maybe a demo clip or two.

I have reports to write and a day job to do but will answer questions as soon as I have time.

Cheers,

Mats N

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Cool. I always gravitate towards the Fender models myself, and I'm usually disappointed.

3. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

4. ipm

ipm Member

Hi Mats,

I know you will make clips a take everything out of this unit. Looking forward to them.
    Your comparison between Kemper vs torpedo CAB with ethos and other preamps vs Amplifire would be valuable.
    Do you find the lack of possibility to turn of preamp as a problem?

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Great Mat, yes from one of the videos the Clean fender sounds are fantastic, that isa very healthy sing that the research has paid off.

Keep the sounds and reviews coming.

6. journo

journo Member

Sorry, haven't checked this out yet.

Cheers,

Mats N

7. journo

journo Member

So we're sort of the same. When I tried the Deluxe at NAMM I was impressed with the clean to grit dynamics so Im looking forward to checking that out too.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Tom Is a excellent guy, and would always support his products!. Im sure Amplify will be a success!. Ive heard such good things about it already!.

9. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

@journo:

*Is the amp modelling an improvement compared to the Eleven Rack (if you had one)?

*How is the amp modelling compared to the Kemper?

Thanks man!

10. kyolic

kyolic Member

Yep, could you please comment on this?

11. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

I agree about clean'ish tones being the hardest for a modeler to replicate like the real amp.

I'm looking forward to checking this out. (Will talk a friend of mine into purchasing as his current rig is really terrible and he can't afford the Fractal or Kemper.)

12. ipm

ipm Member

To Mats,

Oh yes, one more question: how do you compare Amplifire regarding sound and feel (not versatility vise) to Torpedo CAB?
    Thanks.

13. Mr God

Mr God Member

How many samples of the IR does it play back?

14. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

IIRC the IR length is 1024. Not sure about dual mono IR's in the CAB block though.

15. Mr God

Mr God Member

Does it ignore the first 128 samples like the EPSi?

16. svl

svl Supporting Member

Supposedly the editor "crops" and processes the IR to the correct length for the Amplifire- not sure if the unit itself does the job.

17. journo

journo Member

Hi SG,

Tried the Elven Rack and liked it in its expanded version. The reason I didn't buy it was because at the time the editor was locked to ProTools. It's hard to say if the Amplifire is better or not as it has much to do with taste. Suffice to say that IMHO the Amplifire has a more varied sound set and my thought is that I will end up liking the AMplifire more than I did the 11R when I have started using IRs a bit more. VERY powerful tool! The little I have had time to fool around with them so far has been sort of an eye opener. And some of the supplied IRs are seriously good.

Comparing to a Kemper is very difficult as it's such a different koncept. The KPA is totally superior when it come to user interface and effects handling. The Amplifire scores one for the Spring reverb which is missing in the KPA. My ears so far tells me that the KPA is more detaild in its sound and responds much better to rolling of your guitar volume. But then again, nothing does that as well as the KPA and the KPA is much more expensive. I know that there are people that are hoping that the Amplifire will give them KPA/AF2 quality sounds but so far I'm not thinking people will sell their KPA in order to buy an Amplifire.

What I do see is people who are fed up will the quality in their present sub USD1200 modelers, will be really happy with the Amplifire as it has a good set of very playable and authentic amp models, a perfectly satisfactory set of bread and butter fx (with a surprisingly good reverb) and IR cabinet simulation with the ability to load your on IRs and USD599. If you have realistic expectations, you will be happy with the Amplifire and I will venture to guess that the quilty of the Amplifire is so good that it will satisfy most guitar players.

This will be my last and only comment on the amp modeling compared to either the KPA or the AF2 as they are so much more expensive. Unless I find I want/need to. ;) This may very well happen as the final firmware is not done yet.

Cheers,

Mats N

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  18. journo

journo Member

1024. If you have a longer one, it truncates automatically before loading. If you have an old 512 IR it will add silence before loading. Smooth!

Cheers,

Mats N

19. journo

journo Member

Have no idea!

Cheers,

Mats N

20. journo

journo Member

Hi ipm,

I understand your questions but they will have to wait as I first want to check Amplifire as a stand-alone unit. Then I will check how it takes pedals and how it works as a speaker sim for other products.

First I have to edit my NAMM videos and write my NAMM report. Oh, I also have a day job. Please have patience.

Cheers,

Mats N