Amplifire into tube power amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by snooze, Mar 26, 2015.

1. snooze

snooze Member

Hi all,

I received my invitation to buy an Amplifire. But here is one question I have.

Would there be any benefit of using Amplifire into the FX return of a tube amp? Would I be able to desactivate the cab section easily?

I had a POD HD500x and I found it was a nightmare dealing with multiple patches depending of the setup I was playing in (PA, FX Return, Studio Monitor, Headphone, etc.). Is it easier to get consistency with Amplifire since the only thing I could do is switch the cab block on or off (or maybe having multiple cab block depending of the setup?)? And the thing is depending where I'm playing with the band, the guitar amp are different so sometimes there some tweaking to do.

I guess you see the nightmare!

Thanks for your help,

Snooze!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. RLD

RLD Member

Yes.
    You can download the manual from Atomic and read up on it.

3. randombastage

randombastage Member

I use one set of outputs to a stereo tube power amp to guitar speaker cab, the other set of outputs to studio monitors.
    I keep the settings for cab sims off for the tube amp connection and leave the other set for cab sims on.

It works great and it is remarkable how the preset doesn't usually need any tweaking when switching from one set of outputs to the other.

Michael Melloff likes this.
  4. snooze

snooze Member

Ohh, Am I understaing right? That means that Amplifire allows to run IEM with cab simulation and another output to without, to go into a power amp with a cab for example?

Thansk for the replies by the way!

5. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    I've been doing the very same thing at home and use a power amp and cab with the band (which I have only tried once so far; and it was incredible fun). I have found settings that are working good for the two different outputs at home. However, the difference between the Vintage 30 loaded cab at home and the Hi-Tone 4x12 at the practice space has required some adjustment. It didn't take much using the editor in rehearsal and the results were worth more than a kick in the pants.

6. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    So far, this is how I've done it:

I set the auxillary out to go direct to my USB interface at home or direct to a Digi003 at rehearsal. I use the cab simulation on this output, summed to mono.

I send the main output to the amp powering my guitar speaker cab set without cab simulation. This is also summed to mono.

7. randombastage

randombastage Member

Absolutely you can do that.

8. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I'm another one doing both at the same time. Main outs (cabs defeated) to an amp and XLR outs - cabs on direct to board. The real saver here is that on the Cab parameter you can adjust the high end roll-off, the resonance/depth, and "air" to tweak your direct tone.

Of course you can also EQ on the board if you need something more, but like others mentioned with all the adjustments it's easy to get both the direct and tube/cab tones to work together.

9. HamsterSpanks

HamsterSpanks Member

Hey man, can you tell me how to hook up my Amplifire to my 100 watts heads effects loop? I want to bypass my amps preamp section and utilize the amp sims and effects through a tradional 2x12 cab.

Thank you very much....ROCK!!

10. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

You would just plug the AF output into the effects return of the amp. You should then try to turn the poweramp of the AF off and on as it will give you different results and see what you like best. I personally like to leave it on when running this way.

11. HamsterSpanks

HamsterSpanks Member

Thank you very much bro!!