Amplifire MIDI control (CC messages)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by zaboomafoo, May 11, 2015.

1. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

I am trying to get my Amplifire to respond to the CC messages, specifically the tap temp press (CC 18). I can see that AF is getting my MIDI messages for changing presets. It also seems to be getting CC messages but not acting on them.

For example I tried sending CC for switch #3 press. It turns the led#3 on (and the associated function for it) as expected. However on the second CC it does not turn the led off (and whatever is the function of the 3rd switch).

Manual says that CC value for the TAP and SWITCH press messages is not relevant, it can be anything. I tried 0, 127, 64 - no difference.

So the question is - has anybody managed to get CC work? Specifically TAP tempo press?

zbf

2. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

^ bump

Anybody successfully controlling AF with MIDI CC messages?

3. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

I have not tried yet but am curious. Have you updated the 2 files for system and firmware? There was something about tap tempo in the release notes.

4. texasdave

texasdave Member

I will have my unit back home tonight and I'll test it with a couple midi controllers.

5. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

Yes I am running the latest updates. I am able to do program changes, no issues there. Sending switch press and tap tempo presses doesn't work for me. I did not try turning on and off individual blocks using CC, will try that tonight.

6. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot Member

I've used MIDI CC messages to test settings using my POD HD 500 as the controller. Wah on/off and volume on/off as well as individual effects and selecting a specific patch # all have worked just fine for me. I haven't tried anything to do with the tap tempo feature though.

7. texasdave

texasdave Member

zaboomafoo: I have it working fine using an HD500. Select CC Toggle and assign cc to pedal.

What midi device are you using?

I also got it all working using a Roland FC-300. If you are given the choice of "latched" vs. Momentary, choose "latched. I'm having some expression pedal issues with the FC-300; upgrading firmware on it now. I'm suspicious it's the midi output jack, but i should know in a bit. I'll be looking for that new MIDI cable that I know is in the house somewhere. The HD500 got the job done without a problem. Tested both units with tap tempo, boost, bypass, and volume control via midi.

8. texasdave

texasdave Member

Update: Confirming that the MIDI changes above are all accurate. Having an issue with the Roland expression pedal, and have written support@atomicamps.com HD500 handled all the duties without issue.

Texasdave

Chandyland likes this.
  9. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

Thanks texasdave. I am using a DIY arduino based controller. Program changes work fine. I will try to reprogram it to do latching CC and see how that works. I was following the AF manual which says that for TAP tempo press the value of CC does not matter (same for the switch presses). Latching would make sense for the switch press, not sure how that works with tapping the tempo though.

10. texasdave

texasdave Member

the latching works for tap tempo because each time you press the pedal it sends a 0 or 127 (or whatever min max values you have assigned.) Tap tempo measures the time between those messages. If you use momentary you're sending a 127 when you tap and a zero when you release. If your cc is momentary now u can prob demonstrate this by tapping quarter notes using your foot down up down up for 4 quarter notes...

11. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Is that an EV-5? I recall someone having forgotten to turn the volume knob to full on and it fixed the problem.

12. texasdave

texasdave Member

No its the midi expression pedals built on to the unit. Tom is sorting through it.

Thanks, Texasdave

13. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

Thanks Texasdave. That makes sense. Although it doesn't match what manual says for the tap message.

I am going to reprogram the controller tonight. It should work the way you explained.

14. texasdave

texasdave Member

I am mobile at the moment but what I think they were saying is it doesnt matter whether the tap is sending 0 and 127 or 66 67 its just going to measure the time between msg. As I recall the 11R works the same way (latched) as I described above. I havent tried changing 0 and 127 to other values on the switches but I can try it with the fc300 qnd report back to you

yell at me tonight if I can help.

Texasdave

15. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

Alternating between 0 an 127 worked for me too. This is for both tap and switch press CCs. Thanks again Texasdave.

16. texasdave

texasdave Member

Glad I could help. I'm no master with this stuff, I've just messed with it for a while, especially getting the 11R working with a few different foot controllers. You decide to get an ART X-15 fired up to work with some of these units and you're going to broaden your horizon before you get done ;) DIY might be a dark hole I don't want to peer into.

You'll have to show us what you've got going when you get it dialed in.

Texasdave

17. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

This is still work in progress (as it is usually with DIY ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For now midi pedal is only connected with amplifire. Gp10 is on its own. That is ok since gp10 does guitar modeling and synths and I switch them independently. Eventualky i will interconnect them all through a raspberry pi so that i can use volume pedal from gp10 on AF.

DIY has gone long way recently with all those arduinos, raspberrys and others. It is quite easy to build a midi controller using one of those.

When I get some free time I will post the arduino code and schematics somewhere.

brain21, patriot7 and prinspatrick like this.
  18. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

Completed version (for now). I used it last weekend on a gig, it worked great.
    View attachment 2069

19. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Are you controlling the GP10 via MIDI or just the Atomic?

20. zaboomafoo

zaboomafoo Member

For now controller is connected to AF only. I will add a raspberry pi to the board so that gp10 can be hooked to it too.

aleclee likes this.