Amplifire New Firmware V5.0.3

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by snooze, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

That did indeed solve the problem (and taught this audio naif about comb filter phase effects). The one problem that this now introduces is that with all pedals set to 100% wet and the only level control now being the loop return, there is less control over the balance of the three pedals I'm using. They are all on 100%, so, for instance, if I want more dramatic trem effect, I have to live with whatever level of delay and/or reverb that carries with it. To back off on those levels invites back the phasing effects.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Then a series loop will work better for you

3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of older Boogies with parallel loops and always modded them to series. I am sure there is a use for a parallel loop somewhere but I never found it when using real amps.

Elric and LordByron like this.
  4. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Same here. I've modded several of the DC amps to a series loop. Before the mod I used a Rockton Xpression rack MFX completely wet but with MIDI I was able to change effect parameters or presets. Once I started using floor MFX 4CM I went for series loops. For pedals I would prefer a series loop.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Then you start going down the rabbit hole of "oh it sounds different than before when the loop is engaged" blah blah blah :bonk:bongI'll stick with my modelers in those cases :drink

6. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

I know, some people seem so surprised when their amp sounds different depending if the loop is on or off. I prefer to leave it on, adjust that amp to suit me and turn effects on/off as needed.

DreamTheaterRules and JiveTurkey like this.
  7. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

As someone who is ignorant about series vs parallel, are there scenarios where you are using more than effect in a loop where you would want to use the parallel loop?

8. aleclee

9. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Thank you, that helps. So as I understand it, parallel has a pretty limited application unless you are running vintage effects or effects that have no mix function. My initial sense was that when running multiple effects in the loop that have a mix function, it makes sense to use a series loop as you can then create a blend based on the individual effects rather than setting one mix value for all the effects.

10. synthetica

synthetica Member

I would love to see the editor reflect the status of the switches. For Example: I have the 3 switches on the AF3 set to Boost, Reverb, and Loop. If i modify them in the editor then the LED lights on the the AF3, but if I press a switch it does not update the status of the block in the editor. Seems it is one way only.

LordByron and Madmax25 like this.
  11. aleclee

Bingo

12. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

The above may be true in those situations, but as I've written on this thread, with the Amplifire, I am noticing some major differences in the way the instrument sounds and feels based on the type of loop selected. As is explained in the release notes for the new FW, the serial loop involves a whole process of converting to analog and then converting back to digital. So to my ears, there is a different kind of sound with the serial---not necessarily bad, but a bit more "processed" or "mixed."

With the AF parallel loop (which avoids that conversion/reconversion process) it sounds and feels like more dynamics are preserved. The guitar sounds and feels more "live" and "acoustic" to me. With the serial loop, there is more of a smoothed out, compressed sound to the overall signal. As I said above, I would describe the parallel loop as more effective in giving the much-ballyhooed "amp in the room" sound and feel, while the serial loop is more of a "final mix" sound.

I think this option is a major improvement of AF, giving a lot of new sonic options. I can definitely see the benefits of both settings for different applications. But since the parallel loop is the major "new toy" (along with the plate reverb) in this FW update, I'm playing with it this week. I encourage everyone with the AF to try it and weigh in here. Perhaps I'm the only one noticing this difference. I'd love to know whether others can hear and sense it as well.

13. facefirst

facefirst Member

Here's some of my needs with the editor. Overall I just don't think it's very user friendly. Visually it looks fine. Functionally I'm not a fan of it. It just seems clunky and archaic.

1 - Resizing the editor should let you see more parameters, not just make the whole thing larger.
    2 - Drag and drop functionality. From reordering of patches to importing new patches to even dragging an effect from one patch to a new patch.
    3. Ability to right click on block and copy it instead of always having to right click on the patch name.
    4 - Ability to audition IRs by scrolling through the file lists instead of having to load it into the Amplifire in order to hear the change.
    5 - Advanced and simple mode for effects.
    6 - Tuner reflected in editor simultaneously.

Madmax25 likes this.
  14. mollydyer

mollydyer Supporting Member

1) I'd love for the editor protocol to be published. I'd create my own editor. With blackjack and strippers.
    2) That too.
    3) That also. Also block presets.
    4) Now, I can sort of understand why you have to load the IR to audition it - the sounds are not coming from the editor, they're coming from the dsp. Not sure how to get around this one without using a DAW.
    5) See #3
    6) Like... have the editor up and show what the tuner is doing? Neat. I use a polytune, but I like this idea. I wonder if the tuner can talk.

Madmax25 likes this.
  15. Culpster

Culpster Member

Speech recognition, emoji icons so I can place the poop one next to some of my crappier sounds, and a free subscription to Netflix, so I can binge watch shows within the app as I tweak my majestic sounds. Change the border to neon pink so I can get in touch with my feminine side, and a big button on the left side of the interface that compliments me everytime I click on it. You know, things like "Looks like you have been working out," "Your fingers Are on fire because they move so fast," etc. Maybe just add 2 or 3 drive pedals instead. Your choice

Madmax25 and Greatdane like this.
  16. yeky83

yeky83 Member

I'm just waiting for the spillover to be fixed...

17. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

Can you point me to a product that does it properly?

atquinn likes this.
  18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'd like to see a tone match function in the editor. Have it "listen" to an audio input and/or .wav file, then adjust the EQ on the AmpliFIRE accordingly.

LordByron likes this.
  19. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Let me first clarify by bringing up a practical case: Ambient delay -> rhythmic delay. The Amplifire cannot do this right now. (BTW, this is pretty much a necessity if you want to capture the P&W market at all. And with reverbs too please.)

It's possible in other competitors' modeler units by the use of multiple delay/reverb blocks, and spillover between those different delay/reverb blocks. The Amplifire has one delay block with 4 tap parameters, which renders spillover between different delay settings useless. The only spillover function case that works properly within the Amplifire is when you disengage the delay block. That's a very narrow use case for delay spillover.

Does this make sense? I know I've brought it up multiple times, and if it causes headaches, I'm sorry. If you're willing to say that this feature will not be developed for the Amplifire, I'll stop bothering ya. Otherwise, I'm inclined to keep bringing it up so it gets implemented, since I really like the other aspects of AA6.

(Or in the case of Kemper and Strymon, they seem to use the method of looping the wet signal: https://www.strymon.net/faq/spillover-5-second-rule/ But this seems non-optimal to me, and AA6 should have the DSP headroom for multiple delay/reverb blocks I'd think, which is the better implementation.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. Elric

Elric Member

I'd like the editor to be able write a preset to the unit faster than I can physically write down all the settings in the preset onto a piece of paper.

Blaggers, Jace Nuzback and LordByron like this.