(Amplifire Question) Stereo vs. Mono Irs.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by clintmartin, Mar 24, 2015.

1. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

What difference would a mono IR make? If I use stereo Irs in my Amplifire and decide to run mono...wouldn't it sum to mono by only using the left jack?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Excellent question. I've been using MONO IRs as I'm just using the left XLR out - but I don't know if that's "right" or not.

3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Depends on if the stereo IR left and right channels differ in a meaningful way, for example if it's a stereo IR with a different speaker on the left and right.

4. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Interesting - or maybe a mix of mics?

If an IR is in stereo with differences - if you play in mono would it "sum" them for a mono signal?

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I must admit to not being fully schooled on the Amplifire's output options, but typically when you run a single output from a stereo MFX, the output is a summed signal (though some units will just give you the left signal or give you the option of summed or not).

6. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've been using the dual summed mono in the Amplifire. I asked the question because of the Ownhammer mixes which use several mics. I have tried the mono vs. stereo (side by side) in dual summed mono and can't really tell a difference.