Amplifire vs Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dapeegoo, Mar 17, 2015.

1. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Which one gets closest to tube amp tone? I don't care about the effects on both units.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Both get close, but one gets a lot closer and its more expensive!

3. RLD

RLD Member

I have both.

Closest to tube amp tone?...hmm...I'm going to have to do more research.

4. randombastage

randombastage Member

Im going off over a year ago having the Kemper compared to loving the new AmpliFire...
    so take it with whatever required consideration you think that disclosure presents...

I find the two to be very close, maybe the Kemper was better? Maybe by a little bit ....but only when you found a great profile...
    I wouldn't be very surprised at all though to find there is no difference if I could AB them right now.

Im getting some sounds that are so good that if I my AxeFxIIxl (which I just sold about a month and half back) or my old Kemper, suddenly appeared back in my house, that I wouldn't bother to turn off the AmpliFire and turn on one of them. Eventually, within a day or two I'd have them all in a shootout but I wouldn't be in any hurry.

I had a PodHD 500x and an ElevenRack running through a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB lined up waiting to do that kind of shootout when the AmpliFire got here and after 5 minutes with the AmpliFire I decided I didn't need to.

I think if the AmpliFire is less than the Kemper or AxeFxII, strictly judged for amp sounds only, it isn't by much at all.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

6. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

Sound wise I'm sure they are close... But feature wise and usability and flexibility: the kemper is in another league, and probably will sound better easily with the right person placing a mic on an amp... Oncr again, you can't really compare the kemper to anything else....

7. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Do you think they sound better than my zoom G3? I paid $75 for the G3 and would hate to think I got burned on the deal.

8. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

Gahahaha! And we are off...��

9. jeff5x0

jeff5x0 Member

:spit
    Well played sir!

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

If you buy two G3 and connect then in series you will have twice as much power and sound quality!

11. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

For the win

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

um..... yes.

Long time G3X user here and the Amplifire is game changing. My Zoom is now in the loop of the Afire for extra effects and volume pedal. Works great.

jon

13. partytrain

partytrain Member

They both sound awesome. There is no "vs." necessary. Buy what you can afford with the features and form factor you need.

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Is this a troll thread? To be brutally honest both go far beyond a tube amp tone as they can capture a myriad of tube amp tones as can a bunch of other devices. That said, only the Kemper can actually model any amp on the fly for a direct comparison and in my few A/B experiments the results were astoundingly close. Many others have done similar and there's even A/B tests on youtube which you can listen to. The Kemper is really in a class of it's own. That said the Amplifire is no slouch though much more a traditional amp modeler. One cost ~$2000 and the other ~$600. Should be pretty easy for you to decide if the benefits of the Kemper are worth the price premium.

15. kyolic

kyolic Member

Go boost the treble with a decent VST plugin then. There is enormous headroom for that thanks to the signal quality. That's just an other aspect where the unit excels.

16. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Funny. Only one I like is the 3rd. And that's why there is no answer to what sounds the most "tube" as there is no singular sound which describes that. It's a ridiculously outdated reference. Can any give product sound good? Yes. Ok, then what features do I want? That's the question. From a feature perspective, there is a huge, huge gap between the Kemper and the Amplifire. Really, they are not competing products in that regard.

17. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Will, I don't think many people here believe the Amplifire and the Kemper are in the same league. or the Amplifire and the AxeFX. I think a lot of people are hoping to get real high quality sounds out of the Amplifire, which clearly does not have near the same features as either of the other two. A bridge somewhere between Line 6 and AxeFX is about what I expect out of it.

18. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I agree that this is the AmpliFIRE sweet spot. I think it's unfair to compare the AmpliFIRE to the KPA/AXE just as it is to compare the mass market products to the AmpliFIRE. From my experience, the ability to use an IR of your preference makes a HUGE difference in your level of satisfaction with the resulting tone. That is just my opinion - but since I believe that then it slims down the options really quickly. I used a TCAB with other modelers - always struggled with lining up all the levels, changing IRs by modeler preset, etc. Since it's all contained in the AmpliFIRE, can change concurrently by preset, has an excellent quality of signal path - the AmpliFIRE does what I want/need it to, at a price point I can work with, and fits like a glove with the other gear I use.

For me - it's a game changer. People who have an AXE/KPA - maybe not as much. For people who want the feature set of the AXE/KPA - maybe not as much. For people who are absolutely content with a mass market product (for the record I am a fan of mass market products - not bashing any of them whatsoever) - also maybe not as much.

But that's a good point. I also agree with Will - there are so many products that can produce a great sound. It comes down to what is it that matters to you and what are you willing to pay. Find a product (or group of products) where those two things intersect - and go from there.