Amplifire vs Studio Devil

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Bravin Neff, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

Is there any "vs" worth talking about, or are the two essentially the same?

What I'm wondering is if I buy the Studio Devil plugins, do I end up with the same amps/tones/cabs/sounds as the Amplifire - just in the computer (which is where I want it)?

2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

Sorry, just realized this has been asked before.

3. kyolic

kyolic Member

They say Amplifire uses a new generation algorithm for amp modeling but the clips don't say so.

4. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

Are you saying it sounds the same as the Studio Devil plugin?

5. Ampp

Ampp Member

LOL. I feel the same way thus far.

(and I think studiodevil software is actually pretty good sounding)

6. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

What kind of clips are you guys looking for? clean, crunch, high gain? I may be able to help find them.

7. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

I wouldn't bother. The agenda of one of the requesters is readily apparent. Just look at his most recent 10 or so posts, and you'll see what I mean....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

What is the agenda? It seems like a legitimate question... Can you get the same sounds from a plug-in? If so, that would work better for some people.

9. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

That is not the question to which I was responding. Read the quote I included above, then my reply. Hopefully all will become clear.

10. ptgold

ptgold Member

What is it with you and Amplifire? Did Atomic bully you as a kid or something?

11. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

there are several "fanboys" of other products that do nothing but go to threads for all other products and directly or indirectly bash on them...

They are just douchebags IMO and they get the "ignore" function..

They don't have to like or buy something if they don't want to..but I guess they have nothing else to do as I suspect that in RL, they are douchebags also and have no friends there either..

12. Ampp

Ampp Member

I think people are just asking what the difference is between the software and the Amplifire.

There's plenty of clips out there to compare software or for example when the Axe or Kemper gets new firmware. I've not heard any clips A/Bing the Amplifire and the Studio Devil software as a point of reference.

I think that's all people are asking. It's easy to say "improved" but it'd be nice to hear it for those who maybe like the Amplifire but need software or vice versa.

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Marc says it's different. I'll take his word for it. If you don't believe he'd be honest about it, I'd be surprised if you'd buy the product even if it was improved.

14. wcfields

wcfields Member

Looks like a legitimate question to me too....and I don't see anything in his last 10 posts that points to an "agenda"....:huh

15. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Still missing the point, folks. I was not referring to the OP. Read carefully. Read the quote to which I responded. Think. Repeat.

16. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I won't speak for Jay, but kyolic has expressed his opinions (which he's obviously entitled to) in a few other threads, including this one (see above). AmpliFIRE is still early in the game, but to be honest, I doubt there's a clip done with it that kyolic will care for. At least, from what I've read of his comments. And that's okay. :)

Wes

17. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

We all look for (listen for) what we wish to hear in a modeller; we all have different tastes. I heard some Amplifire clips that everyone praised, which I didn't think we're impressive....but, when I post something later that I think sounds great tone-wise, some people are bound to say it doesn't sound good. That's ok.

Modellers are tools, and I am pleased with the Amplifire thus far.

18. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Well said. I guarantee that if I had a Kemper or an Axe-FX II and posted some clips, there would be players using a $600 AmpliFIRE that would get much better sounds out of it than I could with a more expensive and advanced unit.

19. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

At a certain point don't you guys who are naysaying the Amplifire realize that the real question is more about feel than a recorded clip? Sure a recorded clip will give you some idea about the quality of the modeling but it's been shown time and f*cking time again that there are too many variables involved to really showcase the strengths of a product through simple clips. You gotta play the f*cking thing, see how it responds to your dynamics and technique in order to get the real picture.

Clips are good when you literally have nothing else to go by, but how can you possibly have a definitive opinion of something when you haven't tested it out yourself?

20. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

I remember years ago when the Axe came out, and lots of guys were praising it. All you could find on the Internet were AWFUL sounding clips of bad, high gain shredding which you could easily get from a Pod. (And for the record, I too love high gain and fast playing)

It just goes to show that inexperienced players can make awesome gear sound crappy, and skilled players (or great tweakers,) can make cheap gear sound excellent.