AmpliFire with 2 expression pedals

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by RLD, Mar 27, 2015.

1. RLD

RLD Member

Got it working.
    I like this case/pedalboard combo.
    You just unzip and turn the cover over to the bottom.
    Has a stiff insert for the pedals to sit on.
    Pedals held down by velcro so they don't move around when carrying.(included)
    [​IMG]
    Pedal on right is volume and left can be wah, delay volume, whatever.
    You need to Y the send to the two pedals.
    Works just like advertised.

[​IMG]

This is Wayne Krantz's mess I saw the other night.
    Damn, he sounded good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Hard to believe Krantz doesn't have some kind of board. Even Eric Johnson has a piece of plywood. Hahaha!

3. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

RLD,

I have been trying to figure out how to use two pedals. Do you have a drawing or description of the 'Y' Cable? This would be a great help!

Cheers, Mike

4. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

It's on Page 39 of the manual.

5. RLD

RLD Member

Each pedal has one of these insert cables with the TRS into the pedal.
    [​IMG]
    Then one of these inserted into the AmpliFire send and both red cables from the insert cables go into the females.
    [​IMG]
    Gray cables from inserts into AmpliFire returns of your choice.

6. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

RLD,

Perfect - A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks

7. fremen

fremen Member

I may be dumb but I don't understand, but probably my comprehension of English is at fault too. I have two Roland EV5 pedals, each with a stereo jack that I insert into my MFC-101. I want to use them with the Amplifire too but the manual isn't clear enough imho (there's no picture, no mention of how many jacks, male/female, where do I plug them etc.) May someone help ? It's quite urgent, the store that can solder them for me is closing in less than two hours and I have a last minute gig tonight !
    Also, I've read that this adapter is available through Atomic Amps, but it's nowhere to be found on the online store

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  8. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Wouldn't you connect midi out of the MFC-101 to AF's midi in. Then you assign the proper cc#'s on the MFC to correspond with the AF cc#'s.

I don't own the MFC but assume that it has the capability to do this.

9. ballhawk

I forgot to say you don't need an adapter cable if you are using midi. Hope this helps.

10. Atilla

Atilla Member

Hi Freman,

I believe you need a y-cable that has a female stereo end rather than a male end as shown in RLD's post. That is how I connect my EV5. I only have one EV5, but RLD's instructions looks right for connecting two expression pedals. I hope this helps.

Your presets rock by the way! Thanks for sharing.

11. ballhawk

Sorry fremen I looked again and just realized you won't be using the MFC :oops: with The AF

12. fremen

fremen Member

Of course I could, but I use the Amplifire on small gigs because of its portability. Bringing the MFC, which is bulky, would defeat that purpose.
    I went in the shop again and all three technicians that usually do my solderings were confused by the instructions...
    What they need is a soldering diagram. Is there one ?

13. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Supporting Member

Yeah, assuming the MFC will pass the continuous controllers on to the AmpliFire as MIDI commands, that would probably be the easiest way to go.

If that isn't workable, Atilla is correct that you would need a couple of female stereo to dual-male y-adapters (one for each EV5), like this (http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-Stereo-4-Inch-Phone-Female/dp/B000068O5D/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1444133722&sr=8-15&keywords=trs+female+dual+male):

[​IMG]

1. Plug each EV5 cable into the adapters pictured above (one for each EV5)

2. Plug the black connector ("tip") from one of the adapters pictured above into the Amplifires' left "Aux Input" jack. Plug the black connector from the other y-adapter into the right "Aux Input" jack.

3. Get a mono-male to dual-mono female adapter, like what RLD showed. Something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP111-inch-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O53/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1444134362&sr=8-8&keywords=trs+female+dual+male):

[​IMG]

4. Plug the adapter mentioned in Step 3 into the Amplifire's "Send" jack

5. Plug the red ("ring") connector from each of the adapters mentioned in Step 1 into the adapter shows in Step 3.

I think that should do it. Although, I have to admit that I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure from personal experience. No soldering required.

14. fremen

fremen Member

JFC. I'm sorry, I don't understand anything, lol. I need three adaptors ? :confused: Two like the first picture , and one of the second picture ? I think I'll just use my MFC/Axe-Fx :eek:

15. Art_Vandelay

Yeah, three adapters: two like shown in Step 1, and one like in Step 3. If you were only using one EV5, its a lot simpler. You would only need a single adapter -- the one shown in Step 1. You'd plug the tip (black connector) into the Aux In on the Amplifire, and the ring (red connector) into the Send from the Amplifire.

It only get's complicated with two continuous controllers. First, you need a second adapter like what's shown in Step 1. Plugging that second adapter into the other open Aux In port is simple enough. However, both EV5's need to connect to the Amplifire's "send" jack, but they obviously won't both fit. So, that is why you have to use a third adapter to allow them to both connect.

16. randombastage

randombastage Member

If the guys doing the soldering understand the signal path they could create a single 'cable' with the proper connectors on it and it would be quite compact and simple.

17. fremen

fremen Member

wow. Thanks ! I'll order that with the store.

18. Art_Vandelay

True, but then you wouldn't be able to use them within anything else unless you had them resoldered back to original condition. Although three adapters is hardly an elegant solution, I think it would be simple enough once you've done it one or twice, and allows you (and anyone you might sell them to in the future) to use the EV5's with other gear without having to un-mod them first.

19. fremen

fremen Member

Still waiting for a soldering diagram for a single cable for two expression pedals…

20. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

It's not that complicated. If someone is doing the soldering for you, just refer them to post #13 in this thread. If they don't get it, then you're probably going to want to find someone else to do your soldering :D
    -
    Austin