Amplifire with Pedals

musickbox

I recently purchased an Amplifire and while it does sound great on its own, it doesn't seem to play well with my pedals. I did make sure to use the editor and removed an compressors or effects that might affect the sound. It just sounds real muddy in comparison to other modelers I'm using (S-Gear plugin and Thermionik plugin).

Any advice or ways to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance.

-Yannick

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
Which amp model are you using your pedals with (I'm assuming you are talking about dirt pedals)? Some amp models take pedals better than others - I think a lot of folks like the Bassman model as a pedal platform.

redmonda

I run a few pedals in front (EGO Comp, FD III, Hustle Drive) of the Vox model and don't seem to have any particular problems. The general consensus on this board is that the AF takes pedals well - I'm certainly no expert, but I'd check your levels and drive to see if you're hitting the input too hard or if your amp model is compressing more than you realize...

partytrain

The biggest Amplifire draw for me was how well it takes pedals. The deluxe, plexi (clean) and Cornford (slightly driven) were my go to amps for pedal use.

musickbox

Which amp model are you using your pedals with (I'm assuming you are talking about dirt pedals)? Some amp models take pedals better than others - I think a lot of folks like the Bassman model as a pedal platform.
I am using the Vox model mostly but it's across the board. Actually the dirt pedals sound okay, it's everything else. Reverbs, delays get squashed and just a mess. That makes sense about some amps handle pedals better than others.

I run a few pedals in front (EGO Comp, FD III, Hustle Drive) of the Vox model and don't seem to have any particular problems. The general consensus on this board is that the AF takes pedals well - I'm certainly no expert, but I'd check your levels and drive to see if you're hitting the input too hard or if your amp model is compressing more than you realize...
Like I said before, I removed the compressors. When you say "input" do you mean the input of my interface or what I'm feeding into the Amplifire?

Maybe a buffer ?
I don't use a buffer... but I never have needed to since some of my pedals have buffers. Also, I use my board straight in (DI box) to my interface and I don't have this issue.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll keep "trouble shooting".

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I am using the Vox model mostly but it's across the board. Actually the dirt pedals sound okay, it's everything else. Reverbs, delays get squashed and just a mess. That makes sense about some amps handle pedals better than others.

Like I said before, I removed the compressors. When you say "input" do you mean the input of my interface or what I'm feeding into the Amplifire?

I don't use a buffer... but I never have needed to since some of my pedals have buffers. Also, I use my board straight in (DI box) to my interface and I don't have this issue.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll keep "trouble shooting".
Anything you're running in front of the Amplifire is going to be in mono. So if you're running stereo effects they should be in the Amplifire effects loop or after the Amplifire.
-
Austin

indyrunner03

I run a couple dirt pedals in front, a Mobius and fuzz in the loop, and a Timeline as well as reverb after the Amplifire. Everything sounds good to me with the amp models I use (Top Boost, Plexi, 800, Deluxe, and Bassman).

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
Are you running reverb and delays in the loop of the Amplifire? The loop is super transparent so there's got to be a setting that is causing some weirdness. What are your loop settings?

shane159

I am running a Morley Bad Horsie, EQD Depths Vibe, Black Arts Witch Burner, and Pharaoah into the front of the AF with a Line 6 M9 in the AF loop, and I have had nothing but great results. I use the Friedman, Plexi, 800, and Bassman models. The pedals feel the same in the AF as they do when I run them into my JMP and Superlead. I run that set up into a tube power amp into 2 4x12 cabs so maybe the fact that I am running it just like it is my amp makes it work better for me, I don't know. I am not sure why you are having issues, I wish I could be more help.

Last edited:

duaneflowers

I find pedals work better with some presets than with others... finding a nice clean preset to work off of is key, the rest is just dialing it in (like you would with any amp).

hippietim

When I had mine I ran a Wah and a Zoom MS100BT(for drives) in front and an H9 in the loop. It sounded really good. I mostly used the Klon on the Zoom.

bo13bo

Using a KTR and Timmy in front of the AF with the Vox amp sim. Delays and verb in the loop. Sounds pretty good to me.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Op, it would help if you described your chain, especially how you are using s-gear and Thermionik.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Might have missed this, but if you are running reverbs and delay stuff into an already dirty "amp" in the Atomic; it is going to sound muddy. Verbs/delays in the loop for sure.

My experience is that it takes pedals better than any modeller I have used. In my case, the Bearfoot Honeybee and Catlinbread DLS. However, I felt the drives in the Amplifire were good enough so I removed the pedals.

musickbox

Anything you're running in front of the Amplifire is going to be in mono. So if you're running stereo effects they should be in the Amplifire effects loop or after the Amplifire.
-
Austin
No, I was running in mono. Guitar ---> Board --> Amplifire (Left XLR out) --> Interface ---> Computer

Are you running reverb and delays in the loop of the Amplifire? The loop is super transparent so there's got to be a setting that is causing some weirdness. What are your loop settings?
I'll try that tonight. I was not using the effects loop. I was going in straight with my plugins so I assumed it would be the same with the Amplifire. I was treating it like I would an amp.

I find pedals work better with some presets than with others... finding a nice clean preset to work off of is key, the rest is just dialing it in (like you would with any amp).
Yes, I try to use the cleanest sound possible. Totally agree with that philosophy across the board.

Op, it would help if you described your chain, especially how you are using s-gear and Thermionik.
(Mono) Guitar ---> DI ---> Board --> Interface ---> Computer

or

(Stereo) Guitar ---> Stereo DI ---> Board --> Interface ---> Computer

Might have missed this, but if you are running reverbs and delay stuff into an already dirty "amp" in the Atomic; it is going to sound muddy. Verbs/delays in the loop for sure.
I used the AC30 models... those amps do tend to break up... so you might be on to something. But I tried to set it super clean.

Thanks! I'll look over these for some advice.

redmonda

What effects do you have in the Amplifire? Did you make the preset yourself or are you using a preset from someone else?

For example, MBritt's profiles are great but have a bit of compression up front - if you have your reverb/delay into a compressor, that can muddy up pretty quickly. As pointed out earlier, I recommend putting the delay/reverb in the effects loop. Ideally, this is how you would want to do it with a real amp (if the amp has an effects loop).

musickbox

What effects do you have in the Amplifire? Did you make the preset yourself or are you using a preset from someone else?
Yes, like I said in my initial post, there is no compressor active or set. Yes, I am using the MBritt's and my own. Like I posted this morning, I have not been using the effects loop. I use my plugins with no problem and I assumed I would achieve similar results with the amplifier.

It could be just that the Amplifire is not for me. I'm just making sure I remove all possible user errors so I know it's not me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trending Topics