Amplifying a Acoustic Guitar w/o electronics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MusicMan7, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MusicMan7

MusicMan7 Member

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm new to the world of acoustics, so I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff yet. Is there any way to amplify a acoustic guitar without electronics, without using a mic? I'm looking at some guitars that dont come with built in electronics as my first acoustic, and I was wondering if they would be able to be amplified without a mic. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels

By "without electronics", do you mean without an onboard pickup of some kind? Your choices for amplification are an onboard pickup or an external mic. That's it.

3. MusicMan7

MusicMan7 Member

If you add an onboard pickup, do you have to permanetely modify the guitar, or is there I way to add an onboard pickup without drilling, into the guitar?

4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Under the bridge pickup and an end pin jack.

5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels

An end pin jack may or may not require routing through the tail block, depending on the guitar. Piezo pickups can be attached with an adhesive to the underside of the soundboard.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

A lot of new acoustics have an endpin hole that's already sized for an endpin jack. Pickups are so commonplace that installing one is pretty standard. Otherwise, you can use a soundhole pickup with the cord dangling off the face (which personally I can't stand) if you don't want a permanent install.

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Unless you're buying some collectable vinnidge gtr, if you want it a p.u. in the gtr, put it in and don't worry that the endpin is replaced with a jack. You could probably find a lot of info on this with some quick googulation.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

lots of nice pickups from companies like LR baggs are made to be put in expensive acoustics with minimal modification, as in no change to the look, tone, or value of the guitar.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think we're all reading your question wrong. you want to know if a pickup can be put into a guitar that doesn't already have one, don't you? the answer is yes.