Amplifying a PODXT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Peeb, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Peeb

Peeb Member

I never play in public, but I'll be getting a chance this summer (TONEJAM 09!!!). It's a 1-time deal, so I'm not looking to buy any new gear, and would prefer to avoid borrowing. I play my LP style guitar into my podxt at home. Would this work in a live setting:

LP>>PODXT>> (stereo left channel) Roland AC60 acoustic amp AND (stereo right channel) Roland Cube 15.

I need enough volume to keep up with a drummer a few other guitarists, so I'll need to move some air. The cube 15 is actually surprisingly loud. What do you think? Having never jammed with others, I just don't know what is needed or preferred.

Would that work, I do I need to borrow a bigger rig?

2. Peeb

Peeb Member

PS- I have no "real world" experience in such things, so I have no idea how loud that "loud enough" should be.

3. illini

illini Member

Many pro's use the Pod XT. As long as you have your own monitor mix, you will be fine.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

If at all possible you should find a drummer and play with him ahead of time. Everything you thought you knew in the bedroom can go out the window live with a band.
    - are you playing clean or overdriven? Heavily overdriven tones that sound great by yourself can sound awful when you factor in drums/bass and another guitar player.
    - practice as much as possible to metronome or drum machine. If you are rhythmically sloppy, you will just add to the noise floor of the band and not hear yourself.
    - you will find things like stereo, chorus, delay will make your tone disappear unless you are playing with a great band and very sparse arrangements
    - you will need to shape your EQ a lot differently and probably use a lot less distortion. The POD can be a bitch to get sounding good with a band until you figure out how to dial it.

If one amp is 60W, and the other 15W you should be able to move enough air if the band is not too loud. Good luck.

Shawn.

5. Peeb

Peeb Member

I was thinking stereo simply because I figured that 2 amps would equal move volume. Plugging into the PA sounds smart.