Amplitube 2 and THD BiValve

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Orren, May 18, 2006.

1. Orren

Orren Member

I'm currently reviewing Amplitube 2. One of the amps that Amplitube 2 models is the THD Electronics BiValve. Since I have both the BiValve and Amplitube 2 right here, I wanted to see if I could get the simulation to sound like the real thing. This is not a scientific test--this was simply me, seeing how close I could get the two sounds.

First, here's a blues rock riff using the "Less" (low gain) input of the BiValve (http://www.mertonfolio.com/BiValveLess.mp3). Everything is at 12:00 ("the middle") except volume which was full up, and treble which was at about 3:00. I recorded the amp directly from its line out, and played it through the Amplitube 2 Vintage 2x12 closed back cabinet (421 mic, on axis). There were no other effects in Amplitube 2 or plug-ins in Logic used.

The 2nd mp3 is the Amplitube 2 BiValve model (http://www.mertonfolio.com/Amp2BiValve.mp3). The amp settings are the same in the simulation as the hardware amp, and the speaker simulation is the same as the amp clip. There were no other effects in Amplitube 2 or plug-ins in Logic used.

The mp3s were bounced through Amplitube 2 with no other processing other than matching the gain as much as possible. The two don't sound identical, but they sound very close--and more importantly, they respond the same way when you play. The Amplitube 2 model can never get as much gain and treble as the real BiValve can but it does sound quite like the low gain input.

Orren

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

yea, it really does by the clips.

3. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I have to say, I have been really impressed with Amplitube 2. Owning several modeling devices in the past, PodXT, Vox Tonelab, J-Station, etc., Amplitube 2 is the only one I use now when I want to record direct.

4. ivers

ivers Member

Wow, that's pretty, freakin' good.

5. Orren

Orren Member

Sadly, no. I'm hoping soon!

Then again, right now, the only Intel-Mac compatible guitar processors that I can think of are the Guitar Amp simulations in Garageband, Logic Express, and Logic Pro. So Guitar Rig 2, iZotope Trash, etc. all need to play catch up.

Orren

6. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

to me, the 2nd one sounds louder and there is some thumping sound seems pronounced.