AmpliTube MESA/Boogie®

b15fliptop

I'm really liking this so far. These rectos are way more versatile than the models by "the other guys", due to the back panel tweaks. The Mark's are great, and probably my favorite models in here. Also hugely versatile. The Trans-Atlantic is a pleasant surprise, and very good as well.

Daddy like!

mikah912

I gotta say, and I don't say this lightly....

Bar none, my favorite software amp sim suite yet. It's so dynamic and so real-sounding....I just want to keep playing. Cleans, midgain, high gain....it's all there.

I honestly have no real GAS for Helix or another Amplifire or any hardware modeler for the time being. I could totally see taking this on my Dell Venue 8 Pro to studio sessions.

richpjr

I gotta say, and I don't say this lightly....

Bar none, my favorite software amp sim suite yet. It's so dynamic and so real-sounding....I just want to keep playing. Cleans, midgain, high gain....it's all there.

I honestly have no real GAS for Helix or another Amplifire or any hardware modeler for the time being. I could totally see taking this on my Dell Venue 8 Pro to studio sessions.
That is some high praise - can't wait to try them out.

CyberFerret

Anyone compare these to S-Gear's Wayfarer yet?
I did a dirty and clean comparison between the two modellers tonight. From SoundCloud:

----------------------

This is my side by side comparisons for Amplitube's newly released Mesa-Boogie MkIV amp, and the S-Gear equivalent, which is the Wayfarer amp.

I set the dial and EQ slider positions to basically identical on both software modellers, and tried to pick the built in cabs that and mics that were close to equal.

To take the cabs out of the equation a little more, I then disabled the modeller cabs and played each modeller through the Torpedo Wall Of Sound III plugin, so that the cab was consistent.

Test guitar was a Fender USA Strat with Lollar Dirty Blonde Pickups. Clean track was played on middle pickup, and dirty track on Bridge pickup.

I recorded the one dry track and copied it on each track with the different modellers - that way there is NO variation on the dynamics or playing style.

I used the Lead channel on both software modellers, and only adjusted the gain and master volume (and turned on 'Fat') between the clean and dirty tracks.

• Amplitube Cab was 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal, with a Dyn57 mic placed at 2" at the Cap.
  • S-Gear Cab was 2x12 Boutique Twin (M25s) with Dyn57 mic placed at 2" Cap.
  • Torpedo Wall Of Sound Cab was 2x12 Watt FanC with Dyn57 mic placed close just to the edge of the Cap.

No post processing done. No effects, apart from light Studio reverb to add some space.

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
I have not had time much time to play with the Mesa pack yet. Made a few quick presets on the triple rec , and got some great sounds out of it with just a little tweaking.

I already stated before that the engl powerball ll is great and it seems that this pack is going to be just as good. There is so much to just the triple rectifier itself, let alone all the other amps and cabs to play with.

Can't wait to get into it later today.

The one thing I noticed that the triple rec, with the three voicing on each channel, modern, vintage, and raw. When on the raw channel, the volume drops considerably.

Support wrote back and said this is typical behavior for the triple rec, and will probably notice it on the dual rec as well...

Anyone have a real triple or dual rec and can verify this. The volume drop is extreme. I can adjust it no problem, but just want to make sure it's not a bug in my software, as there was a report that the volume levels is a known issue from IK multimedia on Amplitube 3.5 , so not sure if I am experiencing this or its the way the real amps react.

Ampp

I did a dirty and clean comparison between the two modellers tonight. From SoundCloud:

----------------------

This is my side by side comparisons for Amplitube's newly released Mesa-Boogie MkIV amp, and the S-Gear equivalent, which is the Wayfarer amp.

I set the dial and EQ slider positions to basically identical on both software modellers, and tried to pick the built in cabs that and mics that were close to equal.

To take the cabs out of the equation a little more, I then disabled the modeller cabs and played each modeller through the Torpedo Wall Of Sound III plugin, so that the cab was consistent.

Test guitar was a Fender USA Strat with Lollar Dirty Blonde Pickups. Clean track was played on middle pickup, and dirty track on Bridge pickup.

I recorded the one dry track and copied it on each track with the different modellers - that way there is NO variation on the dynamics or playing style.

I used the Lead channel on both software modellers, and only adjusted the gain and master volume (and turned on 'Fat') between the clean and dirty tracks.

• Amplitube Cab was 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal, with a Dyn57 mic placed at 2" at the Cap.
  • S-Gear Cab was 2x12 Boutique Twin (M25s) with Dyn57 mic placed at 2" Cap.
  • Torpedo Wall Of Sound Cab was 2x12 Watt FanC with Dyn57 mic placed close just to the edge of the Cap.

No post processing done. No effects, apart from light Studio reverb to add some space.

So which one was which?

CyberFerret

So which one was which?
I put comments on the clips, but they are hard to see against the black background pic.

Basically, the order on both clips are:

(1) Amplitube - Internal Cab (2) S-Gear - Internal Cab (3) Amplitube + Torpedo WoS (4) S-Gear + Torpedo WoS

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Good comparison. It's interesting, the AmpliTube model actually sounds like it has more brilliance and clarity than I remember my real Mark IV having. It almost sounds more like what I remember the Mark V sounding like. But it's been a long time since I owned that amp.

Sounds really good. I just saw them pop up in custom shop and I've got a rehearsal tomorrow night so I might have to give them a try.

Ampp

I put comments on the clips, but they are hard to see against the black background pic.

(1) Amplitube - Internal Cab (2) S-Gear - Internal Cab (3) Amplitube + Torpedo WoS (4) S-Gear + Torpedo WoS
Wow, the Amplitube is really bright compared to S-Gear.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member

Wow, the Amplitube is really bright compared to S-Gear.
Yeah, I noticed that too. The cleans from the Amplitube seem to match my Mark IV much more closely than the S-Gear sample. On the dirt side, I rarely use the "V" in the GEQ. The Amplitube did seem to be a lot brighter.

CyberFerret - Nice comparison. Thanks.

MESA/Boogie

The one thing I noticed that the triple rec, with the three voicing on each channel, modern, vintage, and raw. When on the raw channel, the volume drops considerably.

Support wrote back and said this is typical behavior for the triple rec, and will probably notice it on the dual rec as well...

Anyone have a real triple or dual rec and can verify this. The volume drop is extreme. I can adjust it no problem, but just want to make sure it's not a bug in my software, as there was a report that the volume levels is a known issue from IK multimedia on Amplitube 3.5 , so not sure if I am experiencing this or its the way the real amps react.
Due to the change in negative feedback, etc, this is indeed how the real amp responds. Thanks!

Last edited:

b15fliptop

Well, one thing to consider here is that the Wayfarer isn't intended to be an exact model of any specific amp. It's Boogie-ish, but if I recall correctly, it started as a basic blackface-inspired amp, and Mike added features to it until we ended up with what it is today. Still an interesting comparison, just don't expect a total match.

Also, I think the gain on the Wayfarer is set higher in these examples, because it's much more compressed. Not only can you hear it, but just look at the waveforms in the soundcloud embed and it's visually obvious.

I'm not knocking or championing either of these, because I have and like both, just pointing some stuff out!

BCy2k

Very tempting. I still have a V Twin Rack+20/20 rig I like a lot, and I used to gig a MK IV as well (which I miss). After checking my IK gear credits this became 'no brainer' for me. Sold.

slugworth

These clips sound great. As good as I had hoped.

Some of the later additions to Amplitube have been spectacular, like the JCM Slash (Silver Jubilee) and ENGLs. These look to be at least as awesome. I can't wait to get them.

Trending Topics