Amplitube on iPad crackling and popping

Zacflame

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought the mesa boogie for iPad and although it sounds really good, I am getting all kinds of popping and crackling. Doesn't matter what latency setting I am using. Using an air pad 2 and focus rite I track dock. Bias or tones tack doesn't seem to have these problems. Anyone experiencing the same?

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
I have an older iPad running this without any popping. Did you make sure and close any other apps running in the background?

Gitarman

IOS 9.3.1 addresses this - be sure to update
Really? I have an iPad mini that I use with a Griffin StudioConnect & run into the same issue from time to time with BiasFX; sounds great, but seems to overload the audio processor sometimes
(esp if I'm running it in the background for too long). FWIW, flipping the stereo setting off & back on usually kills it.

I just updated last night and haven't had a chance to try it out yet; will def have to see if it's any different now.

Gitarman

Really depends on age of your iPad..
hmm.... maybe time for a new iPad then :p

Seriously, although I've been working in IT & network engineering/ design for over 2 decades, I'm still an IOS newb.

I bought the mini a couple years ago for the explicit purpose of managing set lists and tweaking our mixer (Mackie DL1608) during shows; tasks which it excels at. It does fine w/ most guitar modeling stuff as well, but running dual/ stereo paths in BiasFX pushes the CPU pretty hard at times. The strange thing is that I can hook up a cheapo USB/ SD card reader with a RockSmith USB guitar cable and BIASFX runs without a hitch. Maybe I'm over-riding the buffer in the Griffin box or something :dunno

Elantric

I bought the mini a couple years ago for the explicit purpose of managing set lists and tweaking our mixer (Mackie DL1608) during shows; tasks which it excels at. It does fine w/ most guitar modeling stuff as well, but running dual/ stereo paths in BiasFX pushes the CPU pretty hard at times. The strange thing is that I can hook up a cheapo USB/ SD card reader with a RockSmith USB guitar cable and BIASFX runs without a hitch. Maybe I'm over-riding the buffer in the Griffin box or something :dunno
this differences are due to your USB interfaces

The Rocksmith USB guitar adapter is a 16 bit USB Class Compliant Audio interface - with decent analog preamp.

I talk about most of this at this link
http://tinyurl.com/na9ne3b

Gitarman

this differences are due to your USB interfaces

The Rocksmith USB guitar adapter is a 16 bit USB Class Compliant Audio interface - with decent analog preamp.
Yeah, I figured as much. I've also got a cheapo USB guitar cable that is virtually unusable w/ the iPad due to the same reason(s).

I bought the Griffin StudioConnect in hopes that it'd be more of an all-in-one solution. It's great for getting audio from the iPad, but some of the guitar processing stuff seems like it might be a little too intensive for it.

Can you elaborate more on this approach?
Elantric's Vguitar link covers everything in detail. In a nutshell, though, you need a Apple-compliant USB camera/ card reader and the Rocksmith cable pictured above. I bought this cheap adapter mostly as an experiment to see how well it'd work with the Rocksmith cable, which I already had (pretty sure I read Elantric's thread beforehand). It's a little kludge-y and the adapter feels super cheap, but it works well.

Trending Topics