Amplitube users , Midi Suggestion

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone using a midi controller with Amplitube out there ?

I want to turn off and on the stomps and effects, change patches, and bank up and down. That's it, I don't need to have any special controls , but eventually I will try that if possible.

I have the GT-100 , and I know that I can control certain things using the midi, honestly I am not sure how yet. I am not sure if that would be a monumental task as opposed to something else on the market that would make more sense for me, with a row of stomps, and patch change row, and bank up and down ? I used to own a FC 1010 but it's gone.

I have to say, my opinion has changed dramatically on Amplitube for my PC.

I have been playing Amplitube a lot over the past few weeks, and , I am getting so many great sounds out of it , and I can't figure out why I was never able to do this in the past... And I am just taking stock presets and tweaking to taste...

And if you do recommend me staying with the gt100 , is there any videos out there on how to turn it into a midi controller ?

Thanks !

slugworth

My Line 6 FBV Express makes a perfect controller for Amplitube. I'm pretty sure it's the only piece of Line 6 gear I have anymore. MIDI over USB, plug and play, absolutely no fuss. If you need more footswitches then the FBV Shortboard would be the ticket. Just be sure to get the USB versions. They stopped making the non-USB ones, but they still show up used from time to time if one were to go that route.

Amplitube "learns" from any MIDI device, but Line 6 also has a free, lightweight FBV MIDI configuration utility program if needed.

I am also getting killer tone out of Amplitube, even though it's popular for TGP-ers to bag on it. I tried Amplitube 3 early on and wasn't impressed at all. I know a large part of that was my crappy audio interface (no, a POD does NOT make a good audio interface!). I don't know if much has changed in Amplitube in the years since (maybe it's the add-on packs?), but I really love Amplitube 3 now.

The JCM Slash amp sim is incredible to me. Several other fantastic amp sims -- lots of variety and nuance in the Fenders and Oranges. There are lots of great stomps, the post EQs are very useful, and the cab section is excellent to me, giving me results at least as good as the best IRs I've tried. Amplitube plus a good interface is what put me across the line to finally ditch hardware modelers... mostly. I still play out with my ID60, if that counts.

About the GT-100, I have owned a couple of them but never used it as a MIDI controller. This might help: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1479285. Sounds a little finicky. If it was me, I'd sell off the GT-100 and get another controller. EDIT: Duh, that was your thread.

Last edited:

mac jones

FWIW

I just programed a Korg Nano controller (you know the little thing) for A3.

It is very easy. Works perfectly.

Having said that, I tried using a Logidy UMI3 and couldn't get it to work as a latch for stomps.

In other words, apparently it's sensitive to momentary and latching protocols.

But any midi enabled pedal should probably work as a latch.

Last edited:

jerryratpack

My Line 6 FBV Express makes a perfect controller for Amplitube. I'm pretty sure it's the only piece of Line 6 gear I have anymore. MIDI over USB, plug and play, absolutely no fuss. If you need more footswitches then the FBV Shortboard would be the ticket. Just be sure to get the USB versions. They stopped making the non-USB ones, but they still show up used from time to time if one were to go that route.

Amplitube "learns" from any MIDI device, but Line 6 also has a free, lightweight FBV MIDI configuration utility program if needed.

I am also getting killer tone out of Amplitube, even though it's popular for TGP-ers to bag on it. I tried Amplitube 3 early on and wasn't impressed at all. I know a large part of that was my crappy audio interface (no, a POD does NOT make a good audio interface!). I don't know if much has changed in Amplitube in the years since (maybe it's the add-on packs?), but I really love Amplitube 3 now.

The JCM Slash amp sim is incredible to me. Several other fantastic amp sims -- lots of variety and nuance in the Fenders and Oranges. There are lots of great stomps, the post EQs are very useful, and the cab section is excellent to me, giving me results at least as good as the best IRs I've tried. Amplitube plus a good interface is what put me across the line to finally ditch hardware modelers... mostly. I still play out with my ID60, if that counts.

About the GT-100, I have owned a couple of them but never used it as a MIDI controller. This might help: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1479285. Sounds a little finicky. If it was me, I'd sell off the GT-100 and get another controller. EDIT: Duh, that was your thread.
This is great info ! I will look into the FBV Shortbread, since I like lots of switches . You sold me at "Plug N Play. LOL. I have to check out the FBV Midi utility as well.

And I am with you 100 % on the whole Cab experience, the Slash Amp and Cab is incredible, down to I am using the slash cab for a lot more than just the Slash JCM. My dynamics seem really good with certain amps, and I don't remember getting that before..

Thanks again for your input.

jerryratpack

FWIW

I just programed a Korg Nano controller (you know the little thing) for A3.

It is very easy. Works perfectly.

Having said that, I tried using a Logidy UMI3 and couldn't get it to work as a latch for stomps.

In other words, apparently it's sensitive to momentary and latching protocols.

But any midi enabled pedal should probably work as a latch.
Thanks Mac ! Good to know alternatives. Looks like I will go the Line 6 FBV route.

slugworth

This is great info ! I will look into the FBV Shortbread, since I like lots of switches . You sold me at "Plug N Play. LOL. I have to check out the FBV Midi utility as well.

And I am with you 100 % on the whole Cab experience, the Slash Amp and Cab is incredible, down to I am using the slash cab for a lot more than just the Slash JCM. My dynamics seem really good with certain amps, and I don't remember getting that before..

Thanks again for your input.
YW. I was actually cleaning up my FBV Express to get it ready to sell off when the USB port made me stop and scratch my head... never used it before... seemed like it would make a perfect small MIDI controller. So I plugged it into one of my PC's USB ports, cranked up Amplitube, and it recognized the pedals right away. I did then install the Line 6 FBV Control program, but as I recall it worked right away without having to install anything at all.

I love the JCM Slash amp because it is SO versatile. Killer on high gain, and you can use the rhythm/lead switches to make it greasy, crunchy, or clean, with each mode being pretty excellent. I didn't care too much for the Slash AFD model, but I also haven't spent much time with it.

The other amp models I spend the most time with are the OR-50, '65 Deluxe Reverb, and for bass the SVT-4 Pro.

CyberFerret

IK Multimedia have a small Bluetooth board designed to do this. They designed it for their Amplitube users on PC/Mac/iPad.

Really simple, 4 button board that links up to either you PC or iPad via bluetooth so you can turn effects On/Off. I haven't got it yet, but might look into it.

Mexicanbreed

YW. I was actually cleaning up my FBV Express to get it ready to sell off when the USB port made me stop and scratch my head... never used it before... seemed like it would make a perfect small MIDI controller. So I plugged it into one of my PC's USB ports, cranked up Amplitube, and it recognized the pedals right away. I did then install the Line 6 FBV Control program, but as I recall it worked right away without having to install anything at all.

I love the JCM Slash amp because it is SO versatile. Killer on high gain, and you can use the rhythm/lead switches to make it greasy, crunchy, or clean, with each mode being pretty excellent. I didn't care too much for the Slash AFD model, but I also haven't spent much time with it.

The other amp models I spend the most time with are the OR-50, '65 Deluxe Reverb, and for bass the SVT-4 Pro.
Hi, I am very interested in what you posted. I have been considering the Behringer FBC, but the Line 6 boards as well. I went to a store and the sales guy told me that neither worked for MIDI; only for the Spider series. I don´t use Amplitube, but I wonder if it can be used as any other MIDI controller. Also, being it the Express (small version), do you ever find yourself needing more switches? The Behringer seems a bit of overkill to me, but it´s so inexpensive that it´s hard not to just get it.

slugworth

The salesperson was wrong. The FBV Shortboard and Express do MIDI over USB. They can also control a lot more L6 gear than just the Spider amps, but that's beside the point.

If I were playing out with Amplitube then I might want more switches, but as I use it, 4 switches and an expression pedal is plenty while being nice and compact.

The FBV pedals are also fully powered by USB, which is not the case with a lot of other solutions.

jerryratpack

IK Multimedia have a small Bluetooth board designed to do this. They designed it for their Amplitube users on PC/Mac/iPad.

Really simple, 4 button board that links up to either you PC or iPad via bluetooth so you can turn effects On/Off. I haven't got it yet, but might look into it.
I actually own the Blueboard. I didn't know it can be used with my laptop. For some reason I thought it was only for iPad. I have to try it out. I never used Bluetooth on my laptop , so it's worth a shot. I have been using it with jamup for iPad on occasion, and it works well, so I will try it out.

I do want more foot switches though, but this is worth trying since I own it already

Thanks for pointing this out

jerryratpack

I just read on the IK multimedia forum that the Blueboard works with macs and iPads but not with PC.

They recommend the stealth pedal with expandable for two , 2 button footswitches

You can expand it with 2 2-button footswitches, has a built in Wah pedal and a button at the top. Plus stereo in and out and a bunch of Custom Shop credits.

CyberFerret

I just read on the IK multimedia forum that the Blueboard works with macs and iPads but not with PC.

They recommend the stealth pedal with expandable for two , 2 button footswitches

You can expand it with 2 2-button footswitches, has a built in Wah pedal and a button at the top. Plus stereo in and out and a bunch of Custom Shop credits.
Ah, my bad, I might have lead you up the garden path...

But I am pretty sure when they first brought it out that they said it could be used with Amplitube on the PC as well as on iOS... Unless of course the board uses the newer Bluetooth LE protocol, which is highly likely.

Bluetooth LE capability is already on iOS 7+ (and most versions of Android). You can actually get it to work on PC by getting a Bluetooth LE dongle to plug into your USB port, but that sounds like a lot of mucking around for small benefit.

To use standard Bluetooth on iOS, IK Multimedia would have had to sign on as a registered developer of Bluetooth add ons for iOS and join their MIM program, pay a licence fee and get their drivers built into iOS. It is not a cheap and easy path, but of most companies, I would have thought IK Multimedia would have the money and clout to do this.

I was actually in my local store yesterday and picked up the Blueboard box and mulled over whether to purchase it. Wish I had, then I could test it out on my PC and Mac, and my iPad so that we could get a conclusive answer...

jerryratpack

Ah, my bad, I might have lead you up the garden path...

But I am pretty sure when they first brought it out that they said it could be used with Amplitube on the PC as well as on iOS... Unless of course the board uses the newer Bluetooth LE protocol, which is highly likely.

Bluetooth LE capability is already on iOS 7+ (and most versions of Android). You can actually get it to work on PC by getting a Bluetooth LE dongle to plug into your USB port, but that sounds like a lot of mucking around for small benefit.

To use standard Bluetooth on iOS, IK Multimedia would have had to sign on as a registered developer of Bluetooth add ons for iOS and join their MIM program, pay a licence fee and get their drivers built into iOS. It is not a cheap and easy path, but of most companies, I would have thought IK Multimedia would have the money and clout to do this.

I was actually in my local store yesterday and picked up the Blueboard box and mulled over whether to purchase it. Wish I had, then I could test it out on my PC and Mac, and my iPad so that we could get a conclusive answer...
No problem, I appreciate the comments. Helps us all learn in the end.
I was looking at the stealth, and its probalbly optimized for Amplitube , but I think will try out the line 6 board , since slugworth already tried it out and it works , doesn't seem to hard to learn , and that fits the bill for me. Lol ..

jerryratpack

As I was doing some research, and a few other postings I did regarding possible roland FC 300, I came across what was once the IK multimedia stealthboard

That really looked like a nice piece of gear. I see they discontinue ped it and designing a new one ( for the past few years )

Did the stealthboard ever get released to the general public... Why the long wait for the new one ?

Trending Topics