Amplitube2,GTR3,Guitar Rig 4....Recording Solution?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Studio66, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Studio66

Studio66 Member

I have had a few posts lately trying to develop a great "late night wifes in bed" recording solution and a "save the directs to reamp later" system...always hoping in the back of my mind that the tones might be good enough to keep on occasion :)

I purchased an Eleven Rack that I tweaked for a week and ultimately returned...couldn't find any really useable tones.

I fired up my Amplitube 2 which sounded dramatically better to my ears with several instantly useable tones but like most of us I'm always wondering if there is something better :)

I really wanted a stand alone hardware unit (11R /Axe Fx) but thats not working out so I'm looking at software solutions once again...I have also upgraded my recording computer so large "cpu footprints" are not really an issue.

Several new products seem to be available since I bought my Amplitube 2 such as....
    GTR3
    ReValver III
    Guitar Rig 4
    Vintage Amp Room

I want what everyone probally wants which is a decent to awesome representation of the amps we all love.I'm particularily looking for Marshall JCM800 type tones and Fender Twin type tones...all others are obviously very welcome.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on any of these or any others?

Thanks for reading!

2. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

IMHO, Waves GTR3 is THE best amplifier emulation system for a computer based rig. I have not hear teh Axe FX, but i have used the Eleven rack. GTR3 is the AWESOME. I would suggest getting the full bundle, with the foot controller and everything (not that much more). its GREAT. Plus, if you want to, the GTR3 system breaks down so you can run signal through say, just the speaker cabinets, so on and so forth.

What i used to do a lot, was record the preamp out off of my Vox AC50, and run the preamp signal through just the cabinet emulator for GTR3, sounds GREAT!

BTW, they just added 6 new amps, and 7 new cabinets to the GTR3 software, and if you want to just try a stripped down version of it, there is a free version of it on www.waves.com - its 10 amps, 10 cabs, and 13 stompboxes. (heh, if the models you're looking for are in the free download... :D)

3. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

+1 on this! I love my GTR3. :dude

4. Studio66

Studio66 Member

Thanks guys!
    I have been checking thier site out...the new Citron amps look interesting!
    Anyone else?
    Thanks again!

5. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

I've used GTR3. I think it's very good, and a few months ago would've said it was near the top of the list in terms of software recording solutions.

At this point, I prefer GR4. I will admit, the effects in GTR3 are superior, for the most part, but GR4 models are significantly easier to dial in for me, and in general much more satisfying and closer to what I feel the originals should/would sound like. It's probably a preferential thing.

6. scalywonder

scalywonder Member

I've also been looking for a home based recording solution, i have until recently used a valve amp into a groove tubes speaker emulator, but am selling this now as recently the new version of logic pro came out with some great amp sims, closely followed by guitar rig 4 and i honestly think these are now closing in on being all you need, if you only play into a home based recording rig

7. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

For what it is worth...

I have been most happy with Peavey's Revalver MkIII. I started off with Revalver MkII and upgraded to III when it came out. I love the ability to tweak down to the component level of the different amps (bias, plate voltage, resistors, caps, etc.). There is a tremendous amount of room to really design your own sound.

Good luck with whatever you choose.