Amps and Going Direct to FOH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fusion_21, Feb 15, 2015.

1. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I would like to get some opinions on which amp has good cleans or if there is another better solution for going direct out to FOH (silent stage).

Currently I'm using an 11 rack going direct to FOH, we also use Aviom IEM but I'm tired of dragging it and the rack it's mounted in, along with my midi foot controller and guitar back and forth. I'm wanting to downsize to something lighter.

I've been looking at so many different options for example:
    Kingley Squire + Torpedo CAB or
    Atomic AmpliFIRE or
    a small tube amp head, like the micro head from peavey.

I want to ask about amps since this is the forum section for that. Here's a couple of questions I have. First off my budget for an amp and whatever box I need to get to FOH has to be less than $700 total. Also I can't mic a speaker so that's out of the question.

I've been looking at these 4 amps because they all have XLR with speaker emulation.

1.) Blackstar HT-5RH Head
    2.) Bugera G5 Infinium 5w Head
    3.) Peavey ValveKing II 20w Micro Head
    4.) Peavey 6505 20w Micro Head (these aren't out yet)

The questions I have are which one of those or maybe some other choice has good cleans that I can use with my overdrive pedals. I'm not so worried about which has the best built in distortion as I won't be relying on that much. Also which has the best speaker emulation.

Any help, recommendations, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

2. ProfG

ProfG Member

I just went through this, and chose a Ethos Overdrive Preamp. It has a great speaker emulator output. I simply run that to a direct box. I'm totally happy with this setup.

3. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Are you running pedals into it and if so how well does it work with them?

4. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

I'm excited to try the peavey 6505mh...

5. ProfG

ProfG Member

I tend to be an effects minimalist, so I usually go with just the Ethos (previously usually played straight into tube amps). But the Ethos does sound great with pedals: wah, vibe, and (or) Hotcake in front of the Ethos, delay after.

6. charley

charley Supporting Member

You should look at the Quilter amps as well. All of them have a built in DI with speaker emulation. I use a Tone Block, mainly because I also use a preamp pedal. If I didn't use a preamp pedal, and wanted an amp with built in DI and speaker sim, I might look at their other offerings. My Tone Block sounds awesome, BTW, and I have heard very positive reviews about all of their products...

7. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Same here!!! :D

I'm was looking at the Ethos Clean Preamp instead of the one you have. They both sound good. Only thing I'm not sure of is will it be better than one of the amps I mentioned?

8. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I'll check into their amps as well..........thanks for the info.

What preamp are you running?