Amps and interior design. Winners and losers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LolainNB, Jun 5, 2019.

1. dubbinman

dubbinman A HAPPY BOY WITH HIS BALL Silver Supporting Member

!! WINNER !! "Randy designed more for Ark than any other company back when he started designing for and with me in '07, and many of those designs became the inspiration for future Phaez models including the Brawler, McClane and Corona[​IMG]
    Randy has designed for other amp companies as well but I cannot mention those"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RANDY FAY (Owner/Phaez Amps) was lead circuit designer for these ARK AMPLIFIER beauties! He designs and builds incredible amps for cheap! One man shop. Canada. Strange he gets unwarranted 'knocks' ~ most likely from people who have never had him build a one-off custom (or regular production) model OR for that matter ever played one of his amplifiers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Thumpalumpacus and pelle31 like this.
  2. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Vox—especially ‘Fawn,’ Morgans, Bluesbreakers, Magnatone.
    Old Marshalls are beautiful, but not for a ‘regular room.’

3. SgMaster

SgMaster Member

I like the Bensons in the custom fabric covered in lacquer, the Old Mexico and Aunt Gertie are great colors pops.

My (now for sale here) Gretsch TremoVerb has the great signatures tolex they used on hard cases in the 60s as well. Such a cool pattern and the chrome G knobs are really eye-popping

4. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I dunno, I like the Bogner aesthetic. The new Mesa CA Tweed looks incredible!

5. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

I know it's a totally different thing, but the Yamaha THR10 looks like it belongs in a fancy living room.

nowhere, daysleeper and LolainNB like this.
  6. doc

doc Member

Alessandro and Mill Hill have made some pretty amps. I think Trainwrecks are nice looking.

The Peavey mud flap girl XXX was so bad it is kind of cool IMHO. Metasonix Fu***ng Fu***r is probably my nominee for least acceptable. I'm tempted to get one of those and a Wangcaster and hit the road playing smooth jazz.

7. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

Funny because my first thought for best amp aesthetics is Bogner. Very thoughtful aesthetics, cool tolexes and good use of symmetry with careful design.

That looks awful to me. Extremely dated wood styling and random stripes that seem to have no thought involved. Very far from art.

DiAmoroso likes this.
  8. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

All of my various Marshalls are beautiful to look at and make me want to play them.From my JCM800 4010 to my Origin 50 head. My Fender DRRI is also really nice to look at. My 1986 Laney AOR50 however is ugly as sin ,heavy as hell and loud as “blank”. The Laney has been getting the “play for fun” non gigging time since I bought it a couple weeks ago though. It has phenomenal tones and touch sensitivity beyond the JCM800.Yes I know thats hard to believe.

9. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

Yeah I could do without the uses with bogner I just can’t get past the free with Microsoft word “handwritten” typeface they used

Spankyrigor likes this.
  10. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

A Marshall 1962 and 1974 (58, 73) are the best looking and classiest amps ever made.

11. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Amps are meant to be displayed. How disappointed are you when you see a show with a clean stage? Yawn. I personally like wood...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus interesting grill cloth

[​IMG]

Russ

12. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

Looks pretty similar to the Marshall logo if you ask me

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

Spend some time working with typefaces and you’ll see what I mean. I still see Trajan pro, papyrus comic sans everywhere.

14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

While amp looks have never been my main focus I have to admit that the first time I saw one of these, I got way more than a little GASsy for the look.

[​IMG]

15. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

16. RetroRocket

RetroRocket Member

Cool amps guys!
    Any of the Vox trapezoid heads with the chrome trolley tilt-able speaker cab carriers from the 60's get my vote for the coolest looking amps.

nowhere likes this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I like woodgrain, so old Boogies, Trainwreck Express, that style, I like it.

Hulakatt likes this.
  18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Vero Amps https://www.veroamps.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I think the amps we like tend to grow on us and create their own visual aesthetic, whether that be Fender, Marshall, etc and whatever era, say Fender Tweed, Brown and Blonde, Blackface--to me those are the amps I prefer to play and also look at. Apply that to your own preferred amps. Many of us love their function and we love their look.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Geeze, j.s.tonehound and pfflam like this.