Amps and True By-Pass...

Zim

I love the tone of my amp when I plug straight in. But when I have some stomp pedals in, I notice the tone suck. How can I over come this?

Are true By-Pass effects the way to go or some kind of buffer, loop pedal of some sort?

Advice please.

(Sorry if I am in the wrong the forum. I'll stick this in the effects forum too)

suparsonic

I've never used a OD pedal that doesn't effect the tone (in bypass mode). Best way is to use a looper to get it out of your chain when not in use.

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Youll hear plenty of arguements for both. If you just run two or three pedals TB is the way to go but if you run more than that the combination of a quality buffer and a True Bypass strip is probably the best route to take.

dhrcus

If you are using an unbuffered set-up, make sure your cable length is equal to the original cable you are comparing to. Ex. Straight in uses a 20' cable, use two 10' cables to plug the effect in.

Seektone

get a nice buffer. True bypass is great but you need at least one buffer IMHO. Durham electronics, Damage Control, etc

jaeger28

It's a topic much discussed. It's worth experimenting with cable lengths, loopers, buffers. Personally I go on about it when I prepare my rig at home, but playing with the band it suddenly matters much less.

ripoffriffs

Silver Supporting Member
Something else to consider:

some of the vintage pedals or even their reissues turn the polarity of the guitar signal 180 degrees. Example: the MXR micro-flanger & phase 90. And those fx's mix in both dry signal & wet signal. But if the wet signal is 180 out of phase it just cancels out a lot of the dry signal. The effect is a reduction in volume, lose a lot of the highs, and it just sounds like the "tone suck".

Found this out by using the Xotic X-Blender active loop pedal. The X-blender has a polarity switch. I switch to 180 out of phase. When I step on it and a flanger or phaser is in the loop, there is no tone suck, just effects. Of course if I have both the flanger and the phaser on at the same time it just cancels out my 180 deg out of phase. Well I rarely use both at the same time, and the X-blender has volume & tone controls.

Top Bottom