1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Amps at full volume?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by corn husk bag, Feb 19, 2012.

1. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Hello,
    Is it OK to run an amp at full volume? The amps I am referring to are as follows;

Silvertone 1482
    53 Tweed Champ
    40s Orpheus (no model number)

Kind Regards,
    Steve

2. john l

john l Supporting Member

I do it all the time. If an amps in good shape then rock out but if its not then pushing an amp hard has a tendency to make bad or weak components show themselves

3. willc68

willc68 Member

The only amp that I have on your list is the 1482 and I have run it full open many times with nary a problem.
    My 1481 is almost always run full volume and I think that is close to a Champ circuit.
    The only problem I get when running my amps on 10 is from my wife.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

It's a bit harder on the output tubes, but otherwise no real problem.

5. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Consider that the line supply voltage is about 10% higher than these things were designed for; that equates to 20% higher power dissipation. Therefore all else being equal, things will run hotter.
    Are these amps properly earthed?
    Does that 40s amp have a power transformer, ie is it an AC/DC type amp which derives the B+ directly from the line?
    Best to get a tech to check these things over, there could be plently of mission, even safety, critical items on the verge of failure.
    Speakers are likely to be a weak point, the old glues tend to dry out and the joints fall apart.
    Pete.

6. teemuk

teemuk Member

It will stress them more. Some amps can take it, some amps can't.