Amps comparable to a Blues Jr in weigh and wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mds, Jan 24, 2008.

1. mds

mds Member

Hey guys,

Lookin' for a nice little, portable combo amp. Blues Jr. pretty much nails what I'm after: 15 watts, 31lbs, 12" speaker. What are some other alternatives? More wattage is fine, not sure less power will give me enough clean headroom. Price isn't really a factor, though I'm probably not going to spend $2000 on it. :-D

Thanks!

Mike

2. chandlerjenkins

chandlerjenkins Member

i have a fender pro jr that i absolutely love...it was fairly cheap and is great for lower volumes... i must say it does start overdriving fairly early and does get extremely loud...two controls - volume and tone...works great for low volume stuff...

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

The Fender Pro Jr is a great alternative. Smokin' little amp. When people talk about the Blues Jr, I love to tell them about the Pro Jr.

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

My tele likes el84s so I would like to see a similar fender blues jr with all the mods product also (better speaker, a little beefier output transformer etc.). And no more than 35 lbs!

5. T-Bro

T-Bro Member

Crate V16 Palomino. My friend bought one for his little brother and I preferred it over the Blues Jr. (I'm biased b/c I play the bigger version)

6. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

I have both Bj and v16 Palomino and they are different beasts, both nice. Fender is less overdiven and more, uh, bluesy. Palomino is more overdriven and a little sweeter on the overdrive but less headroom in my opinion. No one trusts the Crate name and you can sell a BJ when you are ready, which makes a difference. Palomino is about $270 at GC locally and they had two new BJs for $300 in the clearance sale. If you get a Palomino make sure it is US made, not made in Vietnam. Seems to have better parts on the US models and the Vietnam models have a new switching power supply, I read somewhere.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Orange AD15/12. Though they aren't made anymore is an awesome little amp.

The Peavy Delta Blues 2x10 is a fantastic amp, not completely the same but for 400 bucks....absolutely killer.

8. mds

mds Member

Is the Orange a light amp? Their stuff is usually super ballsy...how's the clean headroom? I tried a Tiny Terror and didn't feel like it had much volume when set clean...

9. geonew

geonew Member

Traynor YCV20WR...comes stock with a greenback, 15 watts, 2 channel with shared EQ... different sounding from a BJ (you could say more "English"), but another option.
    And there is always the Peavey Classic 30.