Amps costing no more than $200, suggestions?

AshlandBump

The title of this topic looks like it belongs at H-C but I'm curious what suggestions I'd get here. I'm looking for an amp costing $200 or less, new or used; tube or solid state. The amp would never see a gig, would be used almost entirely for home use or possible very small practice sessions with a bass player. Musical tastes run from The Beatles to The Jam, i.e., "brutal" gain not required. There must be some good options out there. Opinions based on actual experiences are especially appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JWR

I bought my youngster a Peavey Backstage Plus on Ebay for about a hundred bucks delivered. It has 35 watts and a 10" speaker. You could probably find an equivalent Fender or Marshall solid state unit just as easily.

Unburst

You can find a used Fender Pro Jnr for around $200, geat clean tone, crunches up nicely at volume (no MV)

I've been using one as my main recording amp for years, my other amps, a '64 AC30, a '74 Twin Reverb and a '79 Marshall get used *way* less than my PJ, it's my go to amp for clean to slight breakup tones.

Originally posted by mainstreetexile
The title of this topic looks like it belongs at H-C but I'm curious what suggestions I'd get here. I'm looking for an amp costing $200 or less, new or used; tube or solid state. The amp would never see a gig, would be used almost entirely for home use or possible very small practice sessions with a bass player. Musical tastes run from The Beatles to The Jam, i.e., "brutal" gain not required. There must be some good options out there. Opinions based on actual experiences are especially appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Crate GFX15, I love mine.

JimRayden

If you like portability, Roland Microcube is just great. Pretty loud for 2 watts.

But I think you'll be better with a 10-30W solid-stater if you need it for jamming.

------------
Jimbo

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Peavey has made a lot of all-tube sleeper amps that can be had for cheap. The Ultra 60 is an example, I saw a used head in a music store that may have been had for $250 with a little sweet talking. I have the Rockmaster preamp which is a preamp spin of that model (I paid $90 used), sounds awesome.

New:

Epiphone Galaxie 10 - tube
Traynor TubeMate - hybrid
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue - ss
Behringer Vintager GM110 - ss (SansAmp clone)

Used (either > $200 new or discontinued):

Tech21 Trademark 10 - ss
Garnet stencil combo (Mann, Raven, Granada, etc) - tube
Fender Pro Jr - tube
Ampeg G-100 / GT-10 (or other G series) - ss
Randall Commander (or any orange label Randall really) - ss
Hohner International series - ss (seriously, these things rock)

Originally posted by gulliver
Peavey has made a lot of all-tube sleeper amps that can be had for cheap.
As far as the cheaper end goes (i.e. not the Classics or Delta) I've heard good things about the Encore 65, but never played one. A local shop has one for $199, I should check it out.

CNOTE

I was in GC today with a friend who was picking up a PA system and a used Marshall MG 100 DFX . I saw an Epiphone 5 watt Valve Junior Class A amp for $119.00. Not a bad little amp to mess around with.

The Valve special combo is 5w Class A Circuitry with Dsp reverb + 3 Band eq. $219.

Not bad for what your looking for. Good Luck.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
My big buck amp purchases over the past few years:

Univox 1226 50 watt tube head $70 used through ad in City Paper
early 70s Univox sounds pretty decent w/channels jumped,RVB needs repair

Roland Bolt 60 ss preamp,2 6L6GC power amp channel sw,rvb works fine early 80s $125 thanks GC!
these things go for cheap,you can search out a dedicated site and I'm quite happy with it

Occam

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps
Crate GFX15, I love mine.
Doug I think you just opened yourself up to a smear campaign from your competitors...I can see the ad's now...."Why would you buy an amp from Doug Roccaforte? He'd rather play a Crate than his own amps!" :)

Or maybe some Crate ad's "Crate...what boutique builders really play!" :dude

T

The Cat

I will say get the butt ugliest amp ever made. They may need another speaker but frequently come with rca tubes and are point to point wired, schematically similar to a vintage fender, but man are they ugly. The silvertone 1482. For more power get 1484. They are big in Latin America because of the tone/cost ratio.

TopJimmy5150

I haven't tried the Microcube.

I tried the Palomino V8....it just sounds small.

I bought the Epiphone Valve Special. I love it. Never tried the Valve Jr...I like the additional tone stack of the special.

-Jay

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
VOX 15r

My Son bought one and it sounds really good for a $100 amp

Trending Topics