Amps For Bass and Guitar

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to find a amp that will do both well and drive a 2x12 or 2x10 or 1x15 cab - nothing monstrous. Looking for a compact / relatively portable set up. Maybe 50 watts or less.

Fender Bassman
Traynor YBA-1
Marshall 2061x

What others are there ??

Thanks.

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
I use a YBA-1A. It is a beast of an amp though. Heavy as hell.

Stu Blue

The JMT45 was the Marshall used for bass and guitar '63 to '67 and beyond. I often had trouble getting my JTM45/100 back from bass players in the '70s.
EDIT Dave Stewart's Tourists often borrowed my "little" JTM45 (30watt 2x12) for bass and sounded really good.....

Heady Jam Fan

I don't play a ton of bass, only for recording, but my understanding is 50w is not usually enough for a moderate to large gig.?. When I record Bass, I usually do it DI, but I recently sold a BF Bassman and I have a Mesa now. In my last recording, I ran the bass through my Mesa and thought it might have been some of my best Bass sounds yet. I thought the Bassman was only so-so.

XmasTree

my first amp was a 1x15 peavey bass amp
worked real well for me with a big muff

i imagine a lot of solid state bass amps would work okay. ...because they're solid state

Thinline_slim

I have yet to try it but I've always thought of using my THD Flexi-50 loaded up with 6550s for bass. Line out on the amp to get more volume in the PA too.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I don't play a ton of bass, only for recording, but my understanding is 50w is not usually enough for a moderate to large gig.?. When I record Bass, I usually do it DI, but I recently sold a BF Bassman and I have a Mesa now. In my last recording, I ran the bass through my Mesa and thought it might have been some of my best Bass sounds yet. I thought the Bassman was only so-so.
My Jazz bass sounds great through my mesa mark IVA into an Ampeg bass cab as well. I am was surprised. Its cool you have tried your bass through your mark III as well, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that. I also agree that I liked my mark IVA for bass better than my SF bassman.

I think the key is use a bass cab when you play bass and a guitar cab when you play guitar, there are a number of amps that will fit the bill. Look for a nice and beefy output transformer.

The '67 Silverface Bassman I had worked well for guitar and bass (I see that is on your list). I then tried a '69 Fender Bandmaster Reverb, which didn't work well for bass, the extra saturation of the small output transformer just made for too wooly of a sound with my Jazz bass.

I have other amps to try with bass, I just haven't gotten around to it. I am curious how my Marshall 2553 Silver Jubilee responds.

Heady Jam Fan

My Jazz bass sounds great through my mesa mark IVA into an Ampeg bass cab as well. I am was surprised. Its cool you have tried your bass through your mark III as well, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that. I also agree that I liked my mark IVA for bass better than my SF bassman.

I think the key is use a bass cab when you play bass and a guitar cab when you play guitar, there are a number of amps that will fit the bill. Look for a nice and beefy output transformer.

The '67 Silverface Bassman I had worked well for guitar and bass (I see that is on your list). I then tried a '69 Fender Bandmaster Reverb, which didn't work well for bass, the extra saturation of the small output transformer just made for too wooly of a sound with my Jazz bass.

I have other amps to try with bass, I just haven't gotten around to it. I am curious how my Marshall 2553 Silver Jubilee responds.
Yea, I didn't expect anything great with my Bass through my Mesa, but it worked out well. It does, after all, have the beefy OT necessary. The recording I did previous to that one, I DI'ed it and it felt lifeless, so I wanted to mix it up. I had it going through my Ross comp, Deja Vibe (by accident at first) and my El Cap, which gave me a cool prog-rock kinda thing. I was not using a bass cab though, it was just a combo loaded with an Eminence Red Fang.

I like the amount of compression on a Mark series Mesa, and I think that is really helpful with Bass. I was able to dig in and get cool, rhythmic dynamics whereas a bass that is not seeing enough compression just has too much range in amplitude and I feel like I am wasting concentration on dynamics and keeping notes at the right levels.

FFTT

50 watts will not give you alot of clean headroom or punch,
but it should do to add life to a companion DI track for recording.

Just for light jamming and rehearsal a Fender Blues Deluxe
will work, though you won't have much bottom, it will cut enough for rehearsal.

A vintage Hiwatt DR-103 or Reeves Custom 100

Ideal, Hiwatt DR-201 or Reeves Custom 225

Sunn 200S or 2000S

Vintage Bassman

Marshall Super Bass

Trending Topics