Amps for punk..

Carmeg

So, if you guys were choosing an amp for punk what would you lean towards? I am thinking Bad Religion, Green Day, Blink 182, Dead Kennedys, the Offspring, Pennywise, Lagwagon, etc...

Just curious mainly. Getting into the sounds recently

Goldie Glocks

JCM 900, JCM 2000 or Mesa Dual Rec.

Agreed. Green Day uses a hot rodded Marshall Plexi, Bad Religion uses Marshalls, dude used a Silver Jubilee for a long while. Pennywise uses Dual Rectifer as does NOFX.

My vote would be Marshall or Rectifier. They have both appeared on a **** load of records and both can get nice tight and aggressive tones.

For what it's worth I play in a punk band and I used a JCM800 (SC20H) on our least session. It recorded perfectly.

Mudder

Lots of the bands listed used Marshalls, a couple used Mesa Rectifiers. On a side note El Jefe of NOFX used Mesa Mk3 and now EVH 5150s.

jlb2957

The Fender Bassbreaker. Get a 15 or a 30R, depending on what you need it for. That thing can do everything and had that "punch" down for great punk rock.

For me, I was always a Green Day fan. An interesting thing about Billie Joe, after Insomniac, is that he started turning down his distortion. In my opinion, his guitar tone got so much better. I love the sound of an overdriven P-90 that is not too heavily distorted. Of course, he plays through two JCM 800 heads, I believe. The bass breaker with a Les paul Jr or Special can get you pretty close.

Trending Topics