• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amps for punk..

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Green Day: Plexi. Cab w/ Vintage 30's
Blink: JCM900 + Dual Rec. Mesa Cabs. This is Blink's best tone IMO, before Tom switched to AC30 +Twin Reverb

Can’t go wrong with a JCM800 either

Last edited:

dubbinman

A HAPPY BOY WITH HIS BALL
Silver Supporting Member
Gear-wise, James Williamson elected to use the same recipe that led to his iconic tone on Iggy and the Stooges Raw Power: 1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom played through a 1964 Vox AC30 Super Twin amp (studio). Blackstar Artisian 30 (live)
'nuff said.

J M Fahey

Not hard to get, at all, but you must be consistent: a mid gain amp, all knobs on 10, old Marshalls and similar are perfect, old Fender work too, but they need some boost: a simple Distortion+ set half to 3/4 gain is fine, what you want is those **power tubes** clipping.
No channel switching, no effects needed, IF you use a high gain capable amp such as those MB, 5150, whatever, just do NOT set them to maximum ultraboost gain. Now IF you use SS amps, a few can, but plain SS power amp distortion is usually muddy woody, so you must find those who keep bite with everything on 10 *or* do not use them with Master on more than 5 or 6. Here again, a meat and potatoes Dist+ or one of the Japanese overdrives can get the extra boost and drive, without getting into Metal territory.
I commercially make Guitar amps, for decades now, and my personal warranty Service statistics are that, contrary to what most suppose, Thrash and similar guitar players are not the greatest speaker destroyers, but Punk bands.
After my initial surprise, (numbers don´t lie) I *think* I found an explanation: overdriven SS power amps do not sound good, and shredders WANT a certain Tone ... if amp starts getting muddy they will turn volume down a little to regain it back.
Punk players? ... they just crank it to 10 and call it a day :)

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Man its crazy to see some of the responses here. That whole “anything loud” stereo type is far and away from how it was here in SoCal. Most of the big acts had rigs that are completely drool worthy by TGP standards.

Big buzz word mods from divided by thirteen and LA Sound Design, bad ass old Plexis, bassmans, 800s, Mesa marks and rectos etc. Sure there are exceptions but no more then any other genre of music.

natemeanie

Silver Supporting Member
As some have already stated:

Green Day - modded Plexi (Crunch mod, I believe), JCM900 for pre-Dookie albums
Bad Religion - modded Plexi as well, also JMP/JCM800
Blink - first album was Ampeg/Lee Jackson (cheap but will certainly break/catch fire), then Recto/900, then why bother
NOFX - they used to use the Mark series Mesas
Pennywise - Dual Rec and VHT
Lagwagon - Dual Rec and VHT, used to use Dual Calibers as well?

Lots of folks using Orange stuff as well.

Grab the best amp you can afford and a closed back cabinet and go to town.

middy

Man its crazy to see some of the responses here. That whole “anything loud” stereo type is far and away from how it was here in SoCal. Most of the big acts had rigs that are completely drool worthy by TGP standards.

Big buzz word mods from divided by thirteen and LA Sound Design, bad ass old Plexis, bassmans, 800s, Mesa marks and rectos etc. Sure there are exceptions but no more then any other genre of music.
I guess you’re thinking 90s. Anything loud was fine in the 70s and early 80s

kidbs

I would question whether anyone playing gear that nice is really “punk”. Most punk bands back in the day played whatever they could get their hands on that was loud enough to play venues with or without a PA. Most of those bands were broke ass kids who couldn’t afford anything nicer. Yes there were bands that had marshalls, but I’ve seen plenty with various random solid state amps and all kinds of dirt pedals. I played a Peavey bandit for years and my first tube amp was a beat up old Peavey Butcher.

The music that gets called “punk” today is so far from the original in both production and mindset that it’s not what I would consider punk at all.

Surgeon

Lemme guess, 3/4 of posters here said that "punk doesn't need good gear" or "it's not punk to care about gear" or "play through anything cheap"? AmmI right?

People here don't know sht about punk music.

Nothing better than something jcm800-ish or recto-ish for good punk tones, from Bad Religion to Pennywise to Nofx and so much more.
DSLs get great higher gain tones for punk as well.
Nofx play Mark 4or5.
Red City Radio mix Marshall and Oranges
Good Riddance play Marshall
Rancid are jcm900 and triple-recto
Social Distortion play a lot of stuff but live his BAssman is modded for more gain and Johnny was using a Satellite when I saw them last time.

No matter what the old-basement-blues "experts" say here, get a good amp. The fact that you play punk doesn't mean you shouldn't care about sounding good.

Good sounding punk albums were recorded with good gear.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Bad Religion = Marshall. I'm a big fan and I wouldn't go any other route if I'm going for "that sound". Of course that's Green Day to a T, as well. That fat midrange just plain cuts and that's the Marshall thing to my ears.

Offspring always did well with VHTs, that's how they get such a dry and cutting sound. It's a bit more processed, but a killer articulate higher gain sound that carries beyond punk to metal territory easily if desired.

Blink 182 was always Mesa Rectifiers if you're into the more mid scooped and loose low-end Recto thing.

Last edited:

kidbs

Lemme guess, 3/4 of posters here said that "punk doesn't need good gear" or "it's not punk to care about gear" or "play through anything cheap"? AmmI right?

People here don't know sht about punk music.

Nothing better than something jcm800-ish or recto-ish for good punk tones, from Bad Religion to Pennywise to Nofx and so much more.
DSLs get great higher gain tones for punk as well.
Nofx play Mark 4or5.
Red City Radio mix Marshall and Oranges
Good Riddance play Marshall
Rancid are jcm900 and triple-recto
Social Distortion play a lot of stuff but live his BAssman is modded for more gain and Johnny was using a Satellite when I saw them last time.

No matter what the old-basement-blues "experts" say here, get a good amp. The fact that you play punk doesn't mean you shouldn't care about sounding good.

Good sounding punk albums were recorded with good gear.
If you can afford good gear then great, but most people who start punk bands are young and don’t have a lot of money for good gear. There were lots of great punk/post-punk bands that had what most on here would consider **** gear. Also, in this day and age there are lots of inexpensive, good sounding options without having to resort to marshalls, rectos, etc.

Surgeon

If you can afford good gear then great, but most people who start punk bands are young and don’t have a lot of money for good gear. There were lots of great punk/post-punk bands that had what most on here would consider **** gear. Also, in this day and age there are lots of inexpensive, good sounding options without having to resort to marshalls, rectos, etc.
I’ve been playing punk and hardcore for 25 years but thanks for trying to teach me about it.
The guy didn’t ask if he could play punk on cheaper gear, he asked what amp to use, big difference. Plus, that question always raises a plethora of ridiculous response from the blues gannies on this forum who don’t know a thing about punk but feel obligated to comment nonetheless. Exactly the same as if I replied the following to every thread about gear for blues: « blues is about feelings and was played by poor people so you don’t need good gear, amps or pedals. Just buy a beat-up acoustic, otherwise it’s not « blues ». Robert Johnson played acoustic anyways. »

Last edited:

You’re completely wrong.

Trending Topics