Amps in living room??

Metalmike117

A few years back I saw a post, it was something along the lines of....

"what do these guys do for work to have amazing homes with crazy amp collections in the living room" or something like that.

The reason why I ask is that I'm trying to get an idea of what some of you are doing in the living room with your amps. I'm trying to get some ideas while not getting my face ripped off by my g/f who is moving into my house in 2 weeks
: )

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
My gear is in a living room of an unused upper apartment. It's a total mess man cave ... when I see those pics of totally clean and nicely decorated living rooms filled with amps, I think ... that's a woman's room that is temporarily letting a man set up some amps for a quick picture :p

Just look for the floral drapes, gives it away every time.

Metalmike117

My gear is in a living room of an unused upper apartment. It's a total mess man cave ... when I see those pics of totally clean and nicely decorated living rooms filled with amps, I think ... that's a woman's room that is temporarily letting a man set up some amps for a quick picture :p

You are probably right man! Thankfully my g/f sings and loves listening to Bonamassa and Metallica with me so she is down with music. However it all changes once she moves in. So I'm trying to slide a roadster combo by her into the living room lol.

Metalmike117

Very true, however I need to be diplomatic to avoid BS lol anyone here that is married or almost married must has cool pics or ideas ?

QRSS

brutalist
put a couple in the dining room too. then when it gets reduced to just the living room she'll be happy. you'll be happy.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member
I built a studio on my house and just left one amp of choice in the family room. Now I'm divorced and have guitars and amps all over my house as well as the studio.

Dave

Maybe you could start by telling us what you think she's object to. Have you talked with her about this?

How about a low-wattage combo in an attractive hardwood cabinet, or even a small tweed amp. Something that looks classy, yet is small enough to hide away easily.
lol. so you're single then.
Ahem...divorced almost 3 years now. But soon to be remarried. :)

Metalmike117

She definitely wants it to be a polished looking living room. We are both neat freaks, however I would like to have something sexy for an amp in the living room. I have a roadster combo and other assorted boogie things around. I would love to have the ability to be watching TV and then just grab a guitar an "go" without having to walk into my special "get out" man cave type room.

kevinhifi

How about a low-wattage combo in an attractive hardwood cabinet, or even a small tweed amp. Something that looks classy, yet is small enough to hide away easily.
This is the ticket here. Women who aren't into gear care only about the looks. Find something that looks cool and sounds good, and you'll both (hopefully) be happy. A friend of mine was able to please is relatively picky wife with one of these little guys in his living area. His is white/cream, and I thought it was a space heater when I first saw it.

http://specimenproducts.com/amps/petimor.html
-
-
-
-
-

Metalmike117

This is the ticket here. Women who aren't into gear care only about the looks. Find something that looks cool and sounds good, and you'll both (hopefully) be happy. A friend of mine was able to please is relatively picky wife with one of these little guys in his living area. His is white/cream, and I thought it was a space heater when I first saw it.

http://specimenproducts.com/amps/petimor_black.html
-
-
-
-
-
hahahaah I dig it man! I kinda want to get another class 5 marshall and put it next my couch under a coffee table or something.

JP~)

She definitely wants it to be a polished looking living room. We are both neat freaks, however I would like to have something sexy for an amp in the living room. I have a roadster combo and other assorted boogie things around. I would love to have the ability to be watching TV and then just grab a guitar an "go" without having to walk into my special "get out" man cave type room.
it took me 10 years and two kids to get to this point....patience....and maybe show her some pricey boutique acoustics as a possible solution in the meantime....once she sees you sliding down that slippery slope, she might ask you to put the amp back in the living room :idea

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
For me, the fight has always been getting time to play and playing at the volumes I like to play at ... very difficult, especially with a 10 month old.

I say ... who cares about looks, if you can play, hide them in a back bedroom so they don't bring attention to themselves. :p

cram

for a while I kept a small fender 1x12 hidden next to the arm of the couch - if you knew to look for it you could see, but it was unobtrusive.

Then my wife made me take my harley and my toolbox out so's she could put in her cute little coffee table and I was like, "Awwe woman.. if I can't have my ride in this room here, I have to take my amp out too. I'm outta here!"

Whatever..

jjp

Very true, however I need to be diplomatic to avoid BS lol anyone here that is married or almost married must has cool pics or ideas ?
You want clips, well here's one for you. I am married, and have been for almost 20 years. Not only are my guitars and amps in the dining room (the main floor of the house is open concept so the amps are not technically in the living room), but I have a fairly pricey Colnago road bike that is usually parked in the hall on the main floor. I'm blessed!! Oh, I forgot to add, that my wife also bought the Fender Strat Deluxe for me for my 50th!!

straightblues

I have a little Valco 1x12 5 watt amp from the 50's next to my couch in the living room. I point the speaker into the arm of the couch so I can crank the amp up without annoying the family too much. I use it daily.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I keep my rig in the living room. My wife uses our studio as her office so it's the only place I have to keep my gear. I like having a guitar within reach.

Before when I had a lot of gear:

Now a much smaller rig:

Trending Topics