1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Amps similar to Crate VC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Christoph R., May 17, 2011.

1. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

Hi!

I have a Crate VC30, not a palomino but one of the old ones, with the "st.louis, missouri" plate on the front.

I love the sound, but the thing has a volume drop happening randomly.
    the tech in my towns musicstore could not fix it, so i'm looking for a similar amp, soundwise.

Any ideas?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Peavey Classic 30

3. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

thanks, i will try that one!

a guy from another forum suggested the laney lc30 or vc30(i forgot which one...), anyone think that will work?

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Eh,Classic 30 isnt really that close. Id definately check out a V3112 or Palomino first. BTW- intermitant volume drop out are often caused by a FX loop jack contacts being dirty. Bob

5. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

:agree

+1000
    Bob beat me to it. I had the same problem with mine and a friend suggested having the FX loop jack replaced. It is a stereo in/out and apparently it corrodes and causes this problem. I suppose you could also clean it, but he switched it for me and I've never had the problem since.

Great sounding amp BTW.

6. RBfan

RBfan Member

Bob & ant_riv are right, imho. I have a VC5310, blonde with the same issue. It does come up once in a while - I just clean the jacks (mainly FX loop) with fine grit sand paper & use a little Deoxit. Works every time. The best thing to do, I guess, is what ant-riv suggested: replace the jack.

T

7. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

thanks everyone!
    i will let the tech replace the jack, would be great if i could keep the amp!

8. miamimart

miamimart Member

9. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

yes, i will post the outcome.

in the meantime, anybody has any suggestions for a replacement amp?

10. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Why let a tech replace the jack? Doing what RB fan said will take about 5-10 minutes, take little effort and cost you nothing. If it works then great. If not then get it replaced. Maybe your tech might help you out and replace it for free but it sounds unnecessary at least until proven otherwise.

11. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I bought a VC 5212 back when they were released and had to send it back because it kept fading out. It would have been nice to have the internets back then! The clean channel on that amp was to die for.

12. Scott Naylor

Scott Naylor Supporting Member

+1 on what Prof. Bob said. IMHO the Peavey's don't compare to what a Vintage Club can do for clean tone. VC 50 1x15 owner here. It's been a great amp, just wish I could still move it!

13. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

so, ok, i will try it myself, tomorrow or so, until then, any suggestions for a worthy replacement?

and yes, thats right, the clean channel is to die for...