Amp's speaker and valve 'compatiblity'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by realbluesoldkid, Apr 24, 2015.

1. realbluesoldkid

realbluesoldkid Member

Hi everyone , I'll probably replace the cone of my little combo (Blackstar HT5) hoping a Celestion V-type or something like that sounds more fat and creamy than the factory one . This amp comes with a ECC83 (I guess as preamp) and a 12BH7 , and sooner or later I'll have to replace them... But is there a revealing connection in a tube amp between the valves and the cones ? I mean , could a specific valve highlight the character of a cone or viceversa ? If it's true , maybe this factor may guide the speaker's change choice or the possibility to try another type of valve. Many thanks

2. guitarsngear

guitarsngear Member

Not sure about the valves but changing the speaker will open that amp up incredibly. Put a Celestion EVh speaker (I think is a rebranded G12H30) and it was a completely new amp in all the right ways.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you change your power tubes to a different type (ex: 6L6GC to 6V6GT), you usually need to change the output impedance to match. Keep the power tubes the same, and all you have to consider is maintaining the same speaker impedance when you swap in a new speaker.

- Thom