Amps that are timeless

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
The Tweed Bandmaster and the Brownface Deluxe are my votes. I have an early Victoria Bandmaster and a new Suhr Hombre, and they are a little bit of heaven on earth.

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure what to say about Hiwatt. They had their heyday and then fizzled. Great amps, though.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Fender Tweed and Blackface
Vox AC30
Marshall Plexi and JCM800
Soldano SLO
Mesa MK and Dual Rectifier

a little more time and i bet we could add:
Friedman BE100
EVH 5150
Two-Rock Classic Reverb

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
Standard list of iconic amps:

* Fender tweed, brownface, and blackface
* Marshall 18W, Plexi, and 800
* Vox AC10, AC15, and AC30
* Hiwatt
* Soldano
* Boogie Mark series
* Trainwreck
* Dumble

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
Fender Twin/Deluxe/Bassman
Marshall Superlead Plexi
Vox AC30
Mesa/Boogie MKII-C (+)
Mesa Dual Rectifier (early)
Soldano SLO
Bogner Ecstasy 100b
Dumble Overdrive Special
HIWATT Custom 100

(one day Friedman BE-100)

p.mo

Silver Supporting Member
Too many timeless amps. But, if you frame it around timeless guitar/amp pairings, you might be able to slim the list down to a dozen or so.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Too many timeless amps. But, if you frame it around timeless guitar/amp pairings, you might be able to slim the list down to a dozen or so.
i remember back in college i was bored one day and checked our library for guitar books and found this one. Some really interesting stuff and good pairings mentioned. If i remember correctly the main ones were the Chicago blues rig (335 -> super reverb), the Hendrix rig (strat -> univibe -> fuzz -> plexi), the british blues rig (les paul -> bluesbreaker), and a british invasion rig with i think a ric into an ac30.

It is fascinating to see amps come and go. Particularly when it really is a good amp. But I'm wondering what your thoughts are on amps that have stood the test of time. I can only think of two off the top of my head - Fender DR and Vox AC30. I'd like to say something from Marshall but I can't think of one.
any blackface Fender is probably gonna be relevant for as long as guitar is around.

Trending Topics