amps that can nail this tone......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hilikus989, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PiveOxsm75g

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCiLCo-LoUg

if you have the means i really suggest listening to the cd or itunes versions. this is the tone that made me want a les paul in the first place.

the amp warren is using is a gibson combo, it appears to be a goldtone ga30. any way, i love this sound. is a smooth overall od. marshalls (that ive heard in person) always sound more aggressive than this. this tone has a sweet overall character.

what can get it done?

2. mpisarcik

mpisarcik Member

both my ac30tbx and orange ad30r sound very similar overdriven with the right pedal :AOK

3. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

my bro who i also gig with plays an orange rockerverb 50 and i cant get this sound out of it. the orange always sounds harsher or more compressed. never had experience with a vox other than at very low volume.

i believe (though im not sure) that the gibson amp runs el84s. so that could put a vox in the ballpark i suppose.

trying to avoid a pedaled tone if possible

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My Budda SD-18 sounds like that with me playing it with my Les Paul

5. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Well obviously the Gibson combos can do it. :D

I've heard a Marshall JTM 45's do this tone well.
    Warren used to play Soldano amps, not sure if he still does.

Of course, Warren's playing has a lot to do with that tone, as well. I imagine he's going to be able to coax that tone out of pretty much any rig he plays through.

It doesn't sound like a lot of effects going on there, just straighforward Les Paul into a cranked amp. He may have an OD pedal in front of the amp, but it isn't high gain, just tube saturation.

Thanks for posting those links. I'm not really a DMB fan, but I am a big WH fan. I espcially liked his playing on the Neil Young cover.

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Get the same amp he is playing through! They are readily available. If THAT is the the tone you want, and can see why as it rocks, get a GA30 and be done.

Mike

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

:agree

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I've got two of these amps. A combo and a head. Nice tones for sure.

9. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

obviously that amp can get that tone :D

i was hoping for some other suggestions. i would like to get a head and cab setup if possible, though a combo isnt out of the question.

there are no pedals, its just him and amp. i have the dvd and you can see them wheel it out, and his cord just goes right in. ive seen him live several times and his soldano rig has way more gain than this. he played a marshall plexi with abb and that isnt what a cranked plexi sounds like either.

looking for things that will get me very close to that sound. to me sounds like an open od, british voiced, not overly compressed, and sweet as opposed to aggresive. not too much gain but once you get there, enough to sustain and let the guitar shine through.

must also specify i want a new amp, not used.

i was wondering about a jtm45 btw. any thoughts? others to consider?

10. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Cool. I didn't think he had much between the guitar and amp.

That really is a great sound. A Bluesbreaker combo would probably get you there. I've heard a similar tone from them.

But really, why chase rabbits? That GA-30 is a very nice amp, so if really want to nail that tone, there you go.

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i think the goldtone comes in a head format. i played an alessandro that sounded like that although i dont know the model. the komet constellation might work as well

12. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Something else you might consider is that beautiful sweet tone is coming from 6V6 tubes. No other tube is going to sound quite the same.
    Oops, I could be wrong. I think the newer ones have different tubes than the old ones.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  13. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i heard bb king do it with an L5. humbuckers and some overdrive. what's the big deal? the sweet stuff is in his fingers not the amp.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Why don't you just come clean? You want to spend at least 3x as much for something made by another manufacturer that will get you close to the same tone that Warren is getting with a mass produced and readily available Gibson amp. :roll

I think you can still find these new on some sites. Me, I would be pumped if it were as easy as buying the same exact amp that produced THE TONE I wanted. Why complicate matters?

Mike

15. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

im not going to sound like warren haynes playing through that amp with my lp. i know that this gibson amp can nail this tone but what are some others? i posed this question bc im looking for other amps that can get this tone or close to it. i didnt post it for people to keep telling me that the amp that hes using can nail it!

i dont want to spend 3k, bc i dont have 3k. i price low or high or mass produced means nothing.

im trying to get an idea of others so i can look for them to try them out. ive never seen one of these and i wont buy an amp i cant play first.

16. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

good call, they are 6v6s.

17. meterman

meterman Member

Wow, thanks for this! Great tone and great playing from Warren...

That's more or less the tone I'm going for with my TopHats, overdriven but dynamic, smooth but with some teeth and grind, sustain and verge of feedback but not over the top gain. Beautiful stuff....two of my amps are 6V6 in Class A, one is a 20w Club Deluxe 1x12 I use for practices and the other is a 35w Embassy head I use for most gigs. They'll get that tone if you can crank them up a bit or with a little help from the TIM. The 6V6 amps get closest to that although the Emplex gets close too with the EL34s on the Vintage voicing with the Fat/JTM45 switch on....

The new model TopHat that would get you there would be the Vanderbilt 33 head that can run 6V6, 6L6 or EL34s and has two channels, a simple channel with an EF86 and an EQ channel based on an AC30 topboost...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  18. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i plugged a 335 into a hot rod deluxe yesterday, it sounded just like that.

19. hilikus989

hilikus989 Member

i owned a hr fender before and it never sounded close to that

thanks for mentioning top hat. i would love to check some out. any top hat dealers in atl?

20. meterman

meterman Member

not yet unfortunately, are you in the area? Been trying to put Brian G together with Boutique Guitar Exchange or Midtown Music but I think he's more focused on building and designing than establishing a dealer network, one reason why his amps aren't better known...

Could probably arrange a demo for you if you're interested...