Amps that didn't cut through live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G&Ljunkie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. G&Ljunkie

G&Ljunkie Member

Just what the title says.

Ever own an amp that sounded great on its own, but once in a live situation it just....... Disappeared?
    My first experience with this phenomenon was with a 50 watt JCM 900. When the band kicked in, nothing but an angry bees nest. The volume control did nothing except piss off sound guys. Maybe it sounded better if I was 30 feet from the amp?
    The second amp is the soldano ROS 50 I own. Their was times When this amp would cut, and other times it wouldn't. When it did, it sounded AWESOME! But when it didn't, it was just white noise in the general key of the song. There was no amount of knob twisting that would make it stand out. I'd kinda like to sell the amp, but it's not a very common model, might get sellers remorse.

So let's hear what amps let you down when in a live situation?

2. rp108

rp108 Member

Every Engl I have owned. Sound great at home. Band, errr...not so much. I remember my first Engl was a Powerball and thought it was so awesome. The other guitar player shows up with a freakin Marshall MG100 head and he was killing me, as far as cut thru. Couldn't believe it.

I would only use Engl now for combo amps for home use.

3. Miles

Miles Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic. Just disappeared live. Worked the dials all over the place but just didn't do it for the band I was in. Had to compensate w/ volume which is never a good thing.

Funny, I actually had a Line 6 that cut better in the same band than the Lonestar.

I find that most amps can and do cut through if tweaked right, but not all amps are created equal in certain applications.

In some applications a lower watt amp that is cranked sounds glorious where a bigger ballsier sounding amp sounds woofy and non-existent. Other situations, the opposite is true.

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

That very first 2x12 that Line6 put out around '97 or so, I think it was called the AxSys. A friend of our drummer had one, and he was really talking it up. I tried it at his place and it sounded really good, so we agreed to have him bring it out to the club where my band was playing and let me try it out in a live situation, as I was really interested in the versatility.

Well, it lasted all of maybe three songs before I was pushing it to the side and plugging back into my own gear. I couldn't hear myself AT ALL over everything else, even with it dimed.

5. scott

scott Member

Mesa dual rec....couldn't turn it up loud enough

6. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

One my favorite amps; My Guytron. I later got an FV and was able to dial in a bit more mids but they were tuff to get that punchy, throaty sound that my Budda SD45's excel at!

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I've heard that amp being used by a very pro player...sounded excellent.

However, I have been in the same boat with heavily prgrammable gear. I find it's best to set it up beside the amp you wish to emulate so you don't program to your personal bias and current room acoustics, too much.

But, if you already have an amp that works well why would one get a modeler to copy it? Well, if you have a fleet of amps and can clone each one, that would be cool, but at some point is it worth all the putzing around?

8. teemuk

teemuk Member

Tube Marshalls, Soldanos, Mesa/Boogies and ENGLs don't cut through but solid-state Marshall MGs and Line 6 modelers do....?

I never thought I'd live to see a thread like this. :huh

9. G&Ljunkie

G&Ljunkie Member

''That very first 2x12 that Line6 put out around '97 or so, I think it was called the AxSys. A friend of our drummer had one, and he was really talking it up. I tried it at his place and it sounded really good, so we agreed to have him bring it out to the club where my band was playing and let me try it out in a live situation, as I was really interested in the versatility.

Well, it lasted all of maybe three songs before I was pushing it to the side and plugging back into my own gear. I couldn't hear myself AT ALL over everything else, even with it dimed."

I had to use a Line6 flex tone combo on stage once when I had a tube failure
    I think I could've heard the amp better if I just kept the power switch in the 'Off' position.
    But my hats off to those that can make em work.

10. Chevyvan

Chevyvan Member

I had a Koch Multitone head and Koch cabinet that sounded ok alone but in a band it was just a difficult sound to cut through. I had to use an outboard eq to get it noticeable in the mix.

Engl Richie Blackmore head, not really cutting in a bandmix too.

Now I play Fender Bassmans and I have no problem getting heard.
    I also love Marshall Superleads, they cut through like a razor!

11. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Odd, the JCM 900 1/2 stack I used last night cut very nicely in 50 watt mode last night, but it was in a pretty small club w/ about 100 people in it. I've found a lot of the time the problem isn't with the amp but with the EQ of the bass, drums and vocals. Once we have those set up the amp jumps out nicely. That, and backing off the reverb. ;)

-R.

12. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

I think a lot of it where you are standing as far proximity to the amp. Also important is how the other players are sitting in the mix as well. if everyone is using fuzzy distortion and scooped out, well you are all going to be lost. at the same time you also want to watch the mids so you dont step all over the singer.
    some amps just cut through better. never have a hard time getting heard with a my little tweed deluxe! those little buggers just scream!

13. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

Ive never had a problem cutting through with my Marshall or Soldano, my bogner ecstacy sounded a little soft or light at times though.. I do not like amps that have had all the high end and upper mids "tamed"... total bs!! boutique trick for playing at home, and thats all its good for

14. SteveO

SteveO Member

Keep in mind that this was back in '96 or '97, when modeling was in its infancy. I wasn't looking to model one amp, I was looking for one amp that could do many different sounds for the cover band I was in.

15. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

:rotflmaoI think my favorite part of the gearpage these days are humorous posts. There are a lot of pretty fun guys on the gearpage that actually make the threads more entertaining! Bravo. PS. You might not have tried to be funny in your post, but it's true and cracked me up.

16. modernp

modernp Member

I'm still laughing at this one.

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

When I had my Orange Rockerverb 50H MK1, I had trouble cutting through with my CL80 speaker cab. Less of an issue with my V30 speaker cab. I was up against a mesa mark IV with a EV speaker in the combo. I later switched to a Vox AC30CC1 with an alinco gold and never had a problem cutting through.

18. rp108

rp108 Member

The first Engl Powerballs were known for getting lost in the mix. The Engl Savage I had got it's ass kicked by a 6505+ for cut through.

As far as Soldano's and Mesa's, I don't buy that for a second. And I think Marshall MG heads are garbage but doesn't change the fact that it cut better than the v1 Engl Powerball in a band setting. Line 6, no comment on those.

19. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I read through 10 posts before I saw a Fender amp listed. Fender just won't let you down. I've never seen the need to even try one of the "flower bouquet" amps.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  20. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I used to have a Fender Twin that didn't cut through, even when cranked up pretty loud. Too scooped in the mids.