Amps that go from no volume - too loud for home use with the least turn of volume knob ?

Marrowoflife

San Francisco
Silver Supporting Member
I thought it demonstrated a more gradual increase but maybe it was a different video..

Hefalump

Mesa Electra Dyne

Marshall 2203....accidentally had mv on 4 in my jam room.... hit a nice big Am......OMG!!!......pieces of drywall compound rattled out of potlights in ceiling........thought I lost my eardrums

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a 50-watt Marshall like that. It went from whisper to avalanche as soon as the standby switch was flipped to on. I loved that amp.

donnievaz

A lot of these amps like the HRD, my old Supersonic, etc. can be modded by changing the value of the volume pot. I did it to my Supersonic and it made a huge difference. Just Google "volume mod" or "volume pot mod" for the amp in question. You may get lucky.

Stinger22

I got the HRD’s brother, Fender Blues Deluxe. Love the sound, but can’t play it quiet. Just bought the JHS Little Black Amp Box, arrived today, and on initial messing around, got a nice warm natural break on its clean channel at 90% on the amp’s volume dial, but with a decibel meter saying I wasn’t topping 75dB.
I gigged the same amp years ago. Seemed it went from silent to 10 between 0 and 1!!! I made a volume box for about $30 which is what your JHS is which is just a volume pot to ground. Made it manageable. Love the amp when you can play it LOUD.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
A lot of these amps like the HRD, my old Supersonic, etc. can be modded by changing the value of the volume pot. I did it to my Supersonic and it made a huge difference. Just Google "volume mod" or "volume pot mod" for the amp in question. You may get lucky.
This is the right answer. I had the same issue with my Victoria Double Deluxe straight from the factory - between .5 and 1.0 on the volume pot and we were at club non-mic'd volume, not really very workable. I had my tech install a "Volume Taper" pot (IIRC) and problem solved, nice volume taper with what you'd consider normal travel on the vol pot. Not an expensive fix (1 hr. bench time and the cost of the pot itself)

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
I had a few Pro Juniors that did the same thing. A volume jump between 3 and 4 went from wimpy to ballsy but too loud for home use.

C-4

When I owned a peavey 5150 mk1 head, for home use I couldn't turn the master volume up to 1 as it was far too loud. What amps have you owned that a cough on the volume control and it got far too loud to use at home ? I understand the victory kraken set to 1 on the master is belting out 100db, attenuator a must for home playing with that thing.
Mesa Boogie MK II A was terrible like you ae describing.
If I even just walked past the amp, it would get obnoxiously louder.

Joegalaxy

My Roccaforte C30 was unreal. The MV above 9:00 was unbelievable, so unless you had a death wish, you needed to live between 7:00 (off) and 9:00. These days it seems EVERY amp has people claiming they're painfully loud, but I honestly think that Roccafortes might be at the top of the heap. Ask current and former owners. I don't have it anymore, but my 100-watt Jubilee cannot get as loud as my Rocca. I usually ran the Rocca with EL34s/KT77s, so about 50 watts versus the supposed 30 watts it ran with 6V6s. I once opened my Rocca all the way up at a venue side by side with my buddy's 72 Superlead. Both into Marshall 4x12 B cabs with greenbacks. The Rocca was simply louder. Unreal.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member

Which one? I have 3 , A Competition, Super Comp, and Street Rod and they're probably the easiest amps I've ever owned to control volume. Maybe you mean an old Pro Stock or QUick Rod,etc without the loop volume and maybe their Gears or Masters were nothing like the ones I have (mine start in 2009) . The Hot Rod Deluxe mentioned on this thread is the worst I've ever tried for this, other than original 100 watt 1971 Marshall Superlead.

Eric

ChickenLover

Silver Supporting Member
They have this simple device on Reverb that plugs into the FX loop of the Hot Rod series with a simple volume control that works wonders on taming volume
Any clean boost in the fx loop will work. And you'll have your volume control at your feet.

neptoess

Silver Supporting Member
What a strange thing to complain about. If it’s really that frustrating, just replace the pot with one of the same value, but a different taper. Or plug into the low gain input if it’s a nonmaster amp and you’re playing clean. Or roll your volume knob back.

Or just get used to being light on the volume knob if you really need the amp that’s capable of being loud enough to play an arena to be at TV volume. I have a 5E3 and a 6505, both notorious for having a big jump on the volume pot. I only like the 5E3 cranked, and I got used to the 6505 post knob almost immediately.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom